Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Brand newbie, glad to be here! - 10-28-2009, 11:28 AM

Greets all, I've been reading for a while and registered tonight since I'm soon to join the legions of Dell Mini owners

After doing a bit of research here and there, trying to decide between a 9 or 10v for hackintoshing, I bit the bullet and ordered a 10v on Monday. They tried to deliver it today but I was at work, so will have to wait to get started. For me the arguments between the two were:
9 pros: Size, SSD, 3G, Easy upgrade
9 cons: Small HD, Keyboard
10v pros: Large HD, Better KB, Wifi N, Better CPU (N280), Trackpad looks like my kind of thing
10v cons: Physically larger

I'm living in Sydney, Australia. Here we can source a 9 for $AU506 (from dse.com.au, currenctly in stock) or a 10v for $AU489 (dell site, fasttrack, currently running a -$100 offer till Thursday).

Ugh, a PSP Go ad on the TV... The guy looks like a douche and the product just doesn't impress me, think I'll stick to my 1000 phat.

Anyway, so this will be my first Mac OS pc, and I'm very pleased with the wealth of info on these boards about installing and configuring on the Dell. I've grabbed a copy of Snow Leopard from the Apple store and will be trying firstly with an external USB DVD drive and the NetbookCD installer. Fingers crossed and by the weekend I'll have a neat little OS X install.

If all goes well, I'm planning to drop in a 2GB ram sodimm and install the Win7 RC on with bootcamp.

Am really looking forward to getting it all up and running!

Well, guess that was just a bit of an intro to me and my plans. Hopefully I'll be around the forums trying to contribute something

Cheers and thanks for the great info!
Max
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 10-28-2009, 12:29 PM

Good luck.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 10-30-2009, 12:28 AM

Welcome rabid! I think you'll find the 10v a nice compromise between the teeny 9 and something like a macbook.

SL is butt-easy with the USB and a Mac method - you'll be good to go in no time.
  (#4) Old

Default 10-30-2009, 05:12 AM

So my 10v arrived this morning and I booted it into XP just to make sure it was working, then I proceeded to power it down and rip it apart.

Yup, working with the video guides from Anguish and jrinco, I disassembled the mini for the 2Gig ram that I had prepared earlier

1st step on Jrinco was 'Remove the WLAN card from the bottom'.

Bam, first problem, the screw was in NO mood to come out. Instead, it decided to go ahead and strip the head out.

Ouch.

I went ahead with the rest of the breakdown and found that you did indeed need to remove the wlan card... or maybe not? The offending piece of plastic (a nub no less) was no match for my stanley knife (exacto knife in the US?). Yada yada yada, was all back togetner no worse for wear with 2GB ram, phew! Rebooted into XP to check and looks good.

Next up, burnt a copy of NetbookCD 0.8.3 (test), and plug in my External DVD drive. Ye gods I'm surprised I had so much trouble here. For some reason I couldn't figure out, I was unable to boot into the netbookcd. I popped it into my other laptop and downloaded 1.1 (Snow). Yeah I know it's the older version but I was just after anything. Turned off my laptop and realised my 0.8.3 disc was still in it, so just went with the 1.1.

I began to think that my DVD drive wasn't bootable. The boot from usb option never came up unless my usb was in there, and removable disks did nothing. I disabled all of the boot options in the bios and started working through them one by one, eventually figuring out the problem was between the screen and the chair. Yup, for some reason I had decided CD/DVD drive was not an option, whereas in the documentation it's pretty specific about using that. Sigh.

So, managed to boot into NetbookCD, and load up the Snow Leopard install, phew! Got to the point where it started installing, and it came up with some error about me needing to restart the computer. Ah bugger. Did so and started the installer again via NCD, same point, same error. Remembered something in the NCD thread about something like this. Went and got the 0.8.3 disc out of my laptop.

Right, still no go, so tried repartitioning a couple of times but same error. Decided it was a bios problem (was still running A06). Thanks to the guide 'downgrade your mini 10v bios a04 requires windows', and began the process again (with 0.8.3 NCD). Looks good so far, about 3/4 through the installing screen now.

Well, I guess that's all the hard parts down?

Now it's time to actually learn how to use MacOS I guess And figure out how to dual boot with Win7 also.

Hope that wasn't too much of a long story/post!

Cheers ,
Max
  (#5) Old

Default 10-31-2009, 04:14 AM

Step 2: Installing Win7

So I had a good go at setting up OSX last night, and it's running smoothly, well pleased. Even youtube (which I keep seeing Winboys hassling Mac Users about) went smoothly, well, not in HD, but smoothly.

Unlike most I suppose, I like this touchpad, the integrated buttons annoy me when I'm in the installer or whatnot, where a tap on the pad does not equal a click, but in OSX it's fine since I've configured it up.

Next up was trying to get Win7 installed along side OSX... I did not expect a lot of trouble, but did a good browse of the forums till I found some info on it, including people saying that it was going to be a lot of trouble.

Eventually I managed to find Dual booting with NetbookBootMaker 0.8.3 RC2 Meklort's Blog Meklort's guide, and sounded solid. I read through the comments and found Win7 had a couple of hassles but that all was well after a few diskpart commands.

Popped my Win7 32bit RC install DVD into the external drive, and away I went, installing onto the FAT32 partition (which was reformatted to NTFS) without a hitch. Booted in, did the updates, and did the diskparts as mentioned above. Several reboots later and Chameleon is back in charge, and happy to access both MacOS and Win7. Well pleased!

Took a wee while though. I could probably have gotten through it a bit quicker if I had paid more attention, but was watching Paul Blart: Mall Cop while I was letting things roll.

I guess that's about it really, now that I have both OSX and Win7 dual booting, I'm well pleased. Just have to install the HFS+ driver for Windows to see the MacOS partition and I'm away laughing. Hmm, probably need some sort of cloud storage too, maybe I can use my Mesh account, if MacOS is supported yet.

Cheers
Max

Mini 10v (2GB RAM, 160GB HD, A06): MacOS 10.6.4 (NBI 0.8.4 'special')

Tags
10v, snow leopard, win7

« 10v Ubuntu - Can I Downgrade My BIOS? | 10v touchpad - STILL an issue? »