Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Developing on Dell Mini 10v - 10-27-2009, 01:49 AM

I know its possible to install Mac OS X Snow Leopard on a Dell Mini 10v (or Leopard for that matter) but what I really want to know would it be possible to install the iPhone SDK and develop for the iPhone on the hacked Mini 10v. I am already pretty sure this is possible but I have read some places that it is impossible to develop for the iPhone or use Xcode on a hackintosh. I would really like to know this before I go and buy a $300 Dell Mini 10v and a $120 copy of Snow Leopard.

Thanks
-Oblivian Studios
  (#2) Old

Default 10-27-2009, 05:54 AM

$120 for SL? i thought it was $30
  (#3) Old

Default 10-27-2009, 11:19 AM

I thought that was just the upgrade from leopard to snow leopard, and the full retail cost $120 but also can you develop on a Dell Mini 10v Hackintosh?

EDIT: I just went on the Apple site and it is $30
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 10-27-2009, 12:40 PM

$30 is for the upgrade and it assumes you already have Leopard. This WILL work for a new install, but I consider this, um, morally dubious. If you do not have a licensed copy of Leopard for this system, you are supposed to buy the "Box Set" which also includes iLife and iWork. The Box Set lists for $149.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Default 10-27-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OblivianStudios View Post
I am already pretty sure this is possible but I have read some places that it is impossible to develop for the iPhone or use Xcode on a hackintosh.
I've set up XCode and have been fooling around with the SDK for a while now, got a few test programs on my iPhone right now. XCode seems to take an age to install, but it works great once it's done. I do get random slowdowns every so often, but nothing major.
  (#6) Old

Default 10-27-2009, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the info about the developing But holmes, are you saying technically it would be illegal for me to install SL on the Dell Mini 10v with out buying the box set of leopard?
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default 10-27-2009, 11:02 PM

I don't know about "illegal", but it is, to me, a more serious violation of the license than installing on an unapproved system. The upgrade price assumes that you have previously paid for a full license. Since I am a commercial software developer, I take a dim view of what I consider cheating a developer out of the license fee.

Myself, I paid full zoot for the "Box Set" even though I know I could have saved a lot of money and bought just the upgrade. (I could have saved even more by downloading a torrent...)

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#8) Old

Default 10-28-2009, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
I don't know about "illegal", but it is, to me, a more serious violation of the license than installing on an unapproved system. The upgrade price assumes that you have previously paid for a full license. Since I am a commercial software developer, I take a dim view of what I consider cheating a developer out of the license fee.

Myself, I paid full zoot for the "Box Set" even though I know I could have saved a lot of money and bought just the upgrade. (I could have saved even more by downloading a torrent...)
Thanks for the info Because I am a developer as well (app pending approval) I will wait until I have $180 to purchase the upgrade (SL) and Box Set of Leopard.

Also do you recommend Snow Leopard or Leopard for installing on the Dell Mini 10v? I know Snow Leopard is the newest OS and Leopard is bound to start to lose support within the next 6 months to a year. But I have heard there are some hardware bugs because of the Mini 10v (and other models) has only a single core processor (32 bit). I do also know for a fact the Snow Leopard has 32 bit compatiblity mode and that some of the first mac mini's (after intel jump) have single core processors. But I was wondering if this would make the Mini 10v slow or not work for some programs.

Thanks for all the help so far-
Oblivian Studios
  (#9) Old

Default 10-29-2009, 08:21 AM

SL runs fine on a 10v.

Mini 9 | 2 gigs memory | 64 gig SSD | 10.6.7
Mini 10v | 2 gigs memory | 500 gig HD | BT | 10.6.3 & Windows 7 Professional Dual Boot

Tags
dell mini 10v, developing, iphone, snowleopard, xcode

« install osx on 10v without a mac? | wireless usb adapter with osx and ubantu »