Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default performance issues - 10-26-2009, 06:47 PM

Hey all, new to the joint and had a few questions.

Had the mini9 for almost a year now, was doing OK as a web browser and sometimes using MS Word. Then needed to start using more MS Office suite stuff and the thang has slowed to a crawl.

Then reinstalled and put Office on SDHC card. Works fine for a week and then the install is gone and the card shows up (in multiple machines) as unformatted.

Is this common and/or just a bad card? Is it an office thing?

And honestly, I was wondering if anyone has developed an embedded OS (like XP Embedded or something) with the office suite in it for the mini9? I have tried (have access as a student to some of this stuff) but I do not have the time to figure it all out and it didnt work the first dozen attempts.

Thanks!!

XP SP3
2gigs ram
8gig ssd
Office suite with Excel, OneNote, Word, PowerPoint
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 10-26-2009, 08:15 PM

The card may be bad. What brand is it?

I'm not sure what you're getting at regarding an embedded OS. I don't see why the Mini should run slower just because you're using additional Office features.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 10-27-2009, 03:31 PM

SanDisk SDHC class 2 16 gig.

Embedded is kinda like a custom linux deployment. No excess stuff, just what you need. And windows has XP embedded and an enterprise version of 7 embedded up now for development. In xp it could take up lass than a gig for full functionality on some devices.

And performance lag from office is from it taking up the last of my 8 gig drive's space. I am running with just under a gig free on the ssd. when windows update comes in and tries to download, unpack and install updates to office it eats up almost all of that space with temp files, killing performance and eventually crashing the install from lack of space.

I've been kicking around upgrading the ssd to 16/32, but why spend $80 + shipping on a comp that cost me $200 a year ago?

Thanks for input.

Tags
embedded os, mini 9, office

« Maximum physical CPUs supported ? | Foreign Language Input in OSX SL »