Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Talking Movie watching on a 10v - 10-22-2009, 07:06 PM

my husband and I just ordered Inspiron 10v and are excited! I just want to make sure that we're going to be able to use them for what we want -- they were a great deal!

I just want to use it for web surfing, chatting online to friends, checking email and watching a movie derived from a USB key or whatever.

I'm not looking for perfection but if I can do those things and sometimes, all at the same time, I will be thrilled. This is my play computer and I don't need big apps doing huge spread sheets or notes or design work.

Your input would be appreciated.
PS... let's just assume too that it's 1gb and not upgraded and running Windows Xp... .
Thanks guys...
Helio...
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 10-22-2009, 07:46 PM

Hello.

I have a Mini 9, and it's hardware is mostly identical to the 10v's.

Web browsing works well, but the screen is small, so you might want to browse in fullscreen mode. Ad/Flash/script blockers also useful, since they let the limited CPU and RAM be spent on useful content instead of dazzle.

The performance of Flash videos is a common netbook complaint (like YouTube). You can get around this by using Firefox addons to download Flash videos, or using a service like pwnyoutube.com. Once you have the video file, you can play it in a regular, high-performance video player.

And regular video files (DVD resolution) play well in normal player software. HD (720p) playback is marginal.

I hope that answers some of your questions.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Expert Member

Default 10-22-2009, 08:06 PM

I have the 10, and it's great for webchat, vidchat, email, etc etc. I browse in full screen mode, which is one thing I'm liking about IE, it remembers and opens in full screen view vs Firefox having to FN + F11 when I open it.
The 10 and 10v do have different graphics chipsets, so my input probably isn't helpful for you, but I watch Netflix quite a bit on it, and it's decent. The video is a little sluggish sometimes, especially in full screen mode.
I have a program on my desktop PC that rips DVDs to MP4 and cuts the size down considerably for PSP, iPods etc. I forget the name off the top of my head, but this may work better since it's much less data to process.
  (#4) Old

Default 10-22-2009, 08:32 PM

Yep you should be good to go! - does get hot if used for long periods of time though other than that I think you/husband have made a good purchase

Dell Mini 10v | N270 | A04 | 2GB RAM | 160GB | Mac OS 10.6.6 | Bluetooth | Usb Legacy OFF
DropBox Referral
  (#5) Old

Default 10-23-2009, 03:03 PM

Thanks guys...
I realize and know that this is not an uber machine, but i just want to be able to hang out on the couch or in bed and noodle around.
Thanks so much for your input... greatly appreciated!
Helio...

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

Yeah... this is exactly what I was planning on doing, actually -- glad you mentioned it! I have Videora and it compresses my ripped movies into MP4 format for my ipod touch so, I was planning on using this format or something similar to make movie files smaller and such.

If anyone has any input, that'd be great. Like what you rip your movies to -- I think the Ipod format will be a TOUCH too small but I still want to keep these movies small enough that playback is smooth and seamless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsteenster View Post
I have the 10, and it's great for webchat, vidchat, email, etc etc. I browse in full screen mode, which is one thing I'm liking about IE, it remembers and opens in full screen view vs Firefox having to FN + F11 when I open it.
The 10 and 10v do have different graphics chipsets, so my input probably isn't helpful for you, but I watch Netflix quite a bit on it, and it's decent. The video is a little sluggish sometimes, especially in full screen mode.
I have a program on my desktop PC that rips DVDs to MP4 and cuts the size down considerably for PSP, iPods etc. I forget the name off the top of my head, but this may work better since it's much less data to process.
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 10-24-2009, 12:42 AM

not sure where you live, but if there's a bestbuy around they sell a netbook chillpad which is basically a plastic thing that the netbook sits on top of and it has two built in fans which cool the unit pretty good and it really doesnt effect the battery either...but I do have the 6 cell which probably makes a difference..just my 0.02...

Targus - Chill Mat for Select Netbooks - Gray - AWE39US

I have one and it works great..better than burning your legs and if you want to leave the netbook on the bed while you watch it it wont overheat

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case

« Dell Mini 10v, Buying a 6 cell battery? | Upgrades 2 days after Ordering.. »