Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default stuck on a blue screen ??? - 10-21-2009, 05:50 PM

I have a mini 9 that was converted with the OSX ... i broke the screen on my old mini.... i ordered a new mini ... when it came and i switched the chips from 1 computer to the other and booted it up .....

Starts out normal .... Dell screen ... then apple screen with spinning icon.... then it goes to a blue screen, and nothing... stuck there .....

how do i get past this ? do i need to go to the boot menu ?

i know nothing .. so please talk to me in a way you think an idiot can understand

Thanks in advance
  (#2) Old

Default 10-22-2009, 06:02 AM

no one has been stuck on the blue screen ?
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-22-2009, 11:01 AM

Before anyone can help you, I think they will need a few more details.

For example, is there any text on the blue screen, and if so, what does it say?

Also when you say that you have switched the 'chips' from one computer to the other, which 'chips' are you refering to exactly?

I rather doubt this is quite the reply you expected but hopefully, once you have given us a bit more to go on, I am sure that someone will be able to offer you some further advice, or suggestions.

Oh, and welcome to 'MyDellMini', by the way!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#4) Old
Expert Member

Default 10-22-2009, 12:02 PM

I don't know with OS X, but with Windows swapping "chips", or drives I'm guessing, unless it's a pretty much exact same machine, drivers will cause issues, anywhere from minor, to not booting. Maybe it's something similar in this case, even both being Mini 9's, they may be different revisions.
Just a thought.......
  (#5) Old

Default 10-22-2009, 04:22 PM

no text on the blue screen ... gets hung up there ... i can still move the mouse...

i had a mini 9 hackintosh done and working fine ... i broke the screen ... ordered a new mini .. and just swapped the ssd and ram out of my other mini 9 to the new mini 9 .... now during boot up , it gets hung on the blue screen .... seems like its just stuck..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montala View Post

Also when you say that you have switched the 'chips' from one computer to the other, which 'chips' are you refering to exactly?

I rather doubt this is quite the reply you expected but hopefully, once you have given us a bit more to go on, I am sure that someone will be able to offer you some further advice, or suggestions.

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

yes ... took working ssd drive out of old mini and put in new mini ... same computer, but now seems like it wont boot all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsteenster View Post
I don't know with OS X, but with Windows swapping "chips", or drives I'm guessing, unless it's a pretty much exact same machine, drivers will cause issues, anywhere from minor, to not booting. Maybe it's something similar in this case, even both being Mini 9's, they may be different revisions.
Just a thought.......
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-22-2009, 04:40 PM

Just realised that you are in OS X, rather than Windows, so hopefully one of our experts in that field will be able to help.

I am not sure how 'fussy' OS X is in respect of hardware changes... even if they are the same basic models, which I guess is what is causing your problem.

Presumably you are 100% sure that you plugged all the various internal connections back together again firmly, as I had a problem myself (although not as serious as yours) which was caused by an ever so slightly 'loose' display connector, which just needed another small push with my fingernail to click firmly into place.

I am clutching at straws here really, but often it is the simplest things which can cause the most problems.

Good Luck anyway!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#7) Old

Default 10-22-2009, 05:36 PM

im going to re-secure ... and make sure everything is snug ... and yes im running OSX ... should have said that earlier ....

just dont understand because in just transfering the same thing over to the new "same" model mini ... i just think its some booting quirk

Quote:
Just realised that you are in OS X, rather than Windows, so hopefully one of our experts in that field will be able to help.

I am not sure how 'fussy' OS X is in respect of hardware changes... even if they are the same basic models, which I guess is what is causing your problem.

Presumably you are 100% sure that you plugged all the various internal connections back together again firmly, as I had a problem myself (although not as serious as yours) which was caused by an ever so slightly 'loose' display connector, which just needed another small push with my fingernail to click firmly into place.

I am clutching at straws here really, but often it is the simplest things which can cause the most problems.

Good Luck anyway!

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

everything is secure .... that wasnt it

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

Quote:

thanks for the welcome
  (#8) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-22-2009, 05:39 PM

Try booting into safe mode. Use -x at the bootloader.

If you can boot into safemode, you can reinstall bootloader, extensions, etc that may be causing the issues.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#9) Old

Default 10-22-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguish View Post
Try booting into safe mode. Use -x at the bootloader.

If you can boot into safemode, you can reinstall bootloader, extensions, etc that may be causing the issues.
ok ... held shift key down ... got grey apple /darwin .. then boot menu ... put in -x .... now apple screen with password comes up.... put in my password ... thinks ... goes to blue screen and then back to the apple screen where i need to put in the password ..... the screen does go blue ... but it loops back to the password entry point

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

it does say safe boot and it IS accepting my password ....

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

stupid question ..... make a difference if my old one had no cam and the new one has it built in ?
  (#10) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 10-22-2009, 06:57 PM

Is the BIOS version of the new Mini the same as the old one? Do the BIOS settings match?

Getting an iPad

« Dell mini 10 UK TV recording question | Got a Purple Netbook (a rebadged Dell Mini 1010 for the deaf) »