Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Talking Got a Purple Netbook (a rebadged Dell Mini 1010 for the deaf) - 10-20-2009, 10:39 PM

Hi, I'm obviously new here but I'm not exactly new to netbook in general since I've had my eeePC 900A (best buy version) and I've upgraded the RAM for the eeePC and have messed with quite a number of linux distro booted via the SD card (my original SSD failed within the first week lol).

I have ordered the Purple P3 Netbook via P3 Software and the P3 optimized Purple Netbook, keeps you connected. for only $150 since I'm deaf myself. This netbook is a rebadged Dell Mini 1010 from what I could find out. I've gone as far as to take apart the entire thing in vain to find a RAM slot so I could upgrade to 2 GB though. so I'm still a bit dissapointed that I won't be able to upgrade it that way. Still, $150 for a netbook with windowXP is still one of the best deal I've seen in a long long time.

So due to the lack of RAM upgrade capability, I wonder what other upgrades and tweaks I could do to make the netbook run more efficient. I know that there is a mini pci-e slot that I can install a bluetooth or GPS or anything mini pci-e. I can upgrade the hard drive but 160 GB is more than enough for my need, especially with the 250 GB external drive I have. but is that all?

one of my biggest goal right now is to be able to run hulu or youtube fullscreen better. It's watchable but just barely to the point where I'm willing to watch it smaller in-browser view. So I've been tuning my winXP for quite a bit. I have uninstalled mcafee and installed Avast, which freed up nearly 200MB of my 1GB RAM. I've also disabled a number of services and turned off a few features like indexing and the like. so far, without any program except the essential running, I've managed to get the basline use of the RAM down to around 490mb or so from the original ~700mb.

I hope to learn more about my Dell Mini from you all. thanks

P.S. I'm a student at a deaf university and my major is graphic design and digital media so I would also like to learn of tweaks that can be done to optimize my graphic programs too. thanks
  (#2) Old
Expert Member

Default 10-20-2009, 11:06 PM

One possibility is to go with Windows 7. I think it runs even nicer than XP on a netbook.

Regardless of which Windows you can move from 32 bit color down to 16 bit to make flash run a bit better.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Question 10-21-2009, 01:12 AM

Windows 7 may run nicer but I can not connect to any of my XP machines (my desktop in particular), it doesnt even show up in my computer..

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#4) Old

Default 10-21-2009, 06:10 PM

How did you get it for so cheap?!?!?! Is that price ($150) available for anyone? What else is different than a Mini 10?
  (#5) Old

Default 10-21-2009, 08:43 PM

it is subsidized for the deaf only. you have to give a call to the Purple for a discount code and you may have to go through a process if purple don't have any info on you. The FCC helps pay for these video relay services for the deaf and the netbook comes installed with the software neccessary for the VRS and the camera, while not the best quality, is optimized to runs well with the software.

I do not know exactly what's different between this rebadged version and the Dell Mini 1010. I've only recently gotten it last friday so I'm still getting used to the general usage of it.

P.S. I runs win7 on my main PC and loves it but don't really intend to get rid of windowXP on my purple netbook. especially since I've already tweaked my window xp on it pretty well. I mainly wanted to figure out how to optimize flash to runs well on it so I could watch and play flash based videos and games much more smoothly.
  (#6) Old

Default 10-21-2009, 08:58 PM

One thing that may help is upgrading the hard drive, even if you don't need the space. A 7200 RPM drive or an SSD (depending on your space needs might make a difference in everyday use, especially with 1 GB of RAM, which would likely mean some use of a swap file. This probably won't help the flash performance much and a 7200 rpm drive would have a small impact on battery life.

Dell Mini10v | N280 1.66 GHZ | 2 GB RAM | 160 GB HD, 5400 RPM | Draft-N | OSX 10.6.1
  (#7) Old

Default 10-21-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deafcyclist View Post
I do not know exactly what's different between this rebadged version and the Dell Mini 1010. I've only recently gotten it last friday so I'm still getting used to the general usage of it.
From the purple website, it looks like the difference is that it is pre-loaded with their p3 software packages (and, of course, the logo sticker on the cover). What a cool program!
  (#8) Old

Default 10-21-2009, 10:21 PM

Run your P3 software and other stuff that you usually run, then look at your task manager. You may not even need additional memory.

-- 2120 | black | N550 | 250 gb | 2 gb | 7 ult 32bit
-- Alienware MX11 R1 | Black | dual 7300 | 500 gb | 4 gb | Win7 Pro 64bit
  (#9) Old

Default 10-23-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Run your P3 software and other stuff that you usually run, then look at your task manager. You may not even need additional memory.
my issue is that I also want to use it for quick editing of images and the like in photoshop and other graphical porgrams. I also would like to be able to play games in it. either way, I still gets some stuttering when I play flash video full screen and THAT is the main thing I want to fix right now.

« stuck on a blue screen ??? | Dell Mini 10v, Buying a 6 cell battery? »