Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Win7 or Ubuntu NBR 9.04 - 10-16-2009, 01:27 PM

Hi,all
I purchased my mini yesterday, Ive an xp, but I been tryin to decide should i change it to Ubuntu NBR or Win 7, i like xp but jus wanna try somethin new.
can anyone give me some suggestions?
Also How can i take a backup of the present OS?
i have 1GB/270Intel Atom//160GB.
Thanks in advance.
sam
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-16-2009, 01:28 PM

Both, IMHO. I use both UNR and Win 7, and I love them both. You could always do a dual-boot of both.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#3) Old

Default 10-16-2009, 02:18 PM

I multiboot win-xp, xubuntu and debian.
When installing ubuntu, it will make a grub list for you.
If you select "grub in MBR" (Master Boot Record), you'll have a menu to choose which OS to boot into when your mini starts up.

As to making a backup of your OS, I have been using Clonezilla.
Clonezilla
I use a flash stick (SD card in a stick).
I save my backups on a separate data partition on my mini-10, and later copy them to another SD card for archiving.
It takes some time getting used to clonezilla, and I haven't restored with it yet.
Edit:
I forgot to mention on my mini-10, I deleted the Dell rescue partitions.
The First Dell rescue partition made it difficult for grub to work from the MBR.
I just deleted it while installing xubuntu.
I later needed to use a supergrub boot disk to point grub back to the MBR and include windows.
I eventually reinstalled windows, just to make it a "clean" installation.

mini 10 - black, 1.6ghz, tv tuner, hd screen, multiboot-> win xp | MX-14.2 | debian 6.03 | slitaz_rolling | crunchbang 11
zaurus sl-C3100 multiboot-> zubuntu rc1.0 | angstrom opie 2007.12-r18 | cacko 1.23
zaurus sl-C3200 pdaxii13-5.5-alpha4 akita on nand
  (#4) Old

Default how can I do a multi boot - 10-16-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguish View Post
Both, IMHO. I use both UNR and Win 7, and I love them both. You could always do a dual-boot of both.
Thanks a lot for your help, thats sounds great idea to me, but can my mini handle both the OS, i mean would it slow down after the multi boot?
can you please tell me, how to do a dual boot, and also how do i get win7 RTM from the net for free? im downloading the UBR flash Drive right now, but i dont know where to get the Win7 RTM for free?

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_J View Post
I multiboot win-xp, xubuntu and debian.
When installing ubuntu, it will make a grub list for you.
If you select "grub in MBR" (Master Boot Record), you'll have a menu to choose which OS to boot into when your mini starts up.

As to making a backup of your OS, I have been using Clonezilla.
Clonezilla
I use a flash stick (SD card in a stick).
I save my backups on a separate data partition on my mini-10, and later copy them to another SD card for archiving.
It takes some time getting used to clonezilla, and I haven't restored with it yet.
Thank u very much for your suggestion, ill surely look into it, honestly, the reason i want to take a backup of my OS, is incase if NBR or Win7 doesnt work gud, then i should be able to load my XP back again.
  (#5) Old
Guru

Default 10-16-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg85 View Post
Thanks a lot for your help, thats sounds great idea to me, but can my mini handle both the OS, i mean would it slow down after the multi boot?
When dual-booting, each OS is completely separate from the other. They only slowdown would be during boot up, while the boot menu waits a couple seconds for an OS choice. After that, there'd be no performance loss.

* There's one caveat. Conventional hard drives are typically faster at the beginning of the drive, so the first OS on the drive will essentially have a faster hard drive. Ideally, You'd put Linux first (or at least the Linux system partition), since it doesn't need as much space as Windows. But it might be easier to put it at the end of the drive, and accept a small performance penalty.

And as for making a complete backup of XP, look into making a "drive image". There are plenty of posts on these forums discussing different imaging procedures.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-19-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg85 View Post
Can you please tell me, how to do a dual boot, and also how do i get win7 RTM from the net for free? im downloading the UBR flash Drive right now, but i dont know where to get the Win7 RTM for free?
Now that Windows 7 is about to be released 'officially' it is now no longer possible to legally download 'free' copies of the beta version.

As the launch date is on Thursday 22nd October some resellers may be offering some special pricing to encourage people to 'switch', or you could try checking on-line resellers, such as Amazon, for example.

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN

« can anyone help | How much power does the Bluetooth module use? »