Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Hey, New guy here.. problems already - 12-05-2008, 03:33 AM

Hey, Let me just say HI, this looks like a really cool forum.. Anyways, I am new to the mini 9. I found a great deal a few days ago (20% off + Free s/h on refurbished mini 9's) and ordered one. This is meant to be for my wife.. upgrading from an older EEE 8G on linux..

Well, the dell we ordered was the 16GB model, with windows XP, webcam, and 1GB ram, in white.. The thing looks new. Its imaculate.. problem I am having is that I cannot for the life of me get it to turn on.. plugged in or not.. When I plug it in, the battery light does not light up, and the power light flashes white. There is no response from the machine when trying to hit buttons or use trackpad (as the manual says blinking white= standby)..

Was just looking for input before I call Dell.. Hoping it might be something simple..

Thanks, and glad to be posting my first post (sadly off to a bad start)
Kevin
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Hey, New guy here.. problems already - 12-05-2008, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin107
Hey, Let me just say HI, this looks like a really cool forum.. Anyways, I am new to the mini 9. I found a great deal a few days ago (20% off + Free s/h on refurbished mini 9's) and ordered one. This is meant to be for my wife.. upgrading from an older EEE 8G on linux..

Well, the dell we ordered was the 16GB model, with windows XP, webcam, and 1GB ram, in white.. The thing looks new. Its imaculate.. problem I am having is that I cannot for the life of me get it to turn on.. plugged in or not.. When I plug it in, the battery light does not light up, and the power light flashes white. There is no response from the machine when trying to hit buttons or use trackpad (as the manual says blinking white= standby)..

Was just looking for input before I call Dell.. Hoping it might be something simple..

Thanks, and glad to be posting my first post (sadly off to a bad start)
Kevin
Under the bottom cover, confirm your RAM and other Mini-PCIe devices are properly seated.

You may want to attempt powering on with the battery removed and just the adapter plugged in if you haven't tried that already.

If you can see the BIOS boot screen, you may want to type '0' then select Diagnostics from the Boot Menu to try and isolate the fault.

(#3) Old

Default Re: Hey, New guy here.. problems already - 12-05-2008, 03:39 AM

I actually get no screen at all.. but I will try to see if they are seated properly. Thanks
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Hey, New guy here.. problems already - 12-05-2008, 03:48 AM

Try pressing and holding the power button for longer than 5 seconds, until the power light goes out. I've read of problems with some laptops coming out of standby. Maybe the folks that did the refurbish accidentally put it into standby instead of powering it down before they packed it up for shipment.

edit: oops, took too long to type and hit submit... :mrgreen:
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Hey, New guy here.. problems already - 12-05-2008, 03:49 AM

You are HOLDING DOWN the power button for a couple of seconds to try to turn it on right?

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Hey, New guy here.. problems already - 12-05-2008, 03:55 AM

Looked at the ram, everything is seated correctly.. even reseated the ram.. still nothing.. and I have tried holding the button down.. no luck.. the light is off when not plugged in, and when plugged in.. only the power light flashes white, no light at all comes on in the battery light area.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Hey, New guy here.. problems already - 12-05-2008, 04:15 AM

If you don't even get a BIOS screen, then it ain't just the SSD.

If it was the RAM I'd think you'd get some kind of beeping noise from the system. But maybe not.

I think you're sending the unit back to Dell...

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Hey, New guy here.. problems already - 12-05-2008, 11:06 AM

Ya, I get nothing.. no beep, no screen..

Thanks for the tips guys, guess I am calling dell.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Hey, New guy here.. problems already - 12-05-2008, 02:54 PM

Well, called tech support.. 30 mins.. 25 waiting, 5 troubleshooting..

They gave me the option of calling customer service and asking for a replacement (being its refurbished i'm not sure how that works, it would prob be subject to availability) or sending it to the Dell Depot I saw mentioned here before.. Not wanting to deal with another phone call.. I opted for the Dell depot plan, so I have a box on the way.. hopefully it will be fixed correctly this time.. Makes me question their CERTIFIED REFURBISHED workflow..

DOA.. lame.

Thanks again guys!
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Hey, New guy here.. problems already - 12-05-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin107
Well, called tech support.. 30 mins.. 25 waiting, 5 troubleshooting..

They gave me the option of calling customer service and asking for a replacement (being its refurbished i'm not sure how that works, it would prob be subject to availability) or sending it to the Dell Depot I saw mentioned here before.. Not wanting to deal with another phone call.. I opted for the Dell depot plan, so I have a box on the way.. hopefully it will be fixed correctly this time.. Makes me question their CERTIFIED REFURBISHED workflow..

DOA.. lame.

Thanks again guys!
I know I am a little late here, but did you try the suggestion above and disconnect the battery and try to turn it on with just the power cord plugged in? I am curious what the "technician" told you the problem was.

Dell Mini 9, Red, 2gb RAM, 64 GB HD, 3 separate HDs: XP Pro, Vista, and Windows 7
Dell Mini 10, XPS M1530, Inspiron 1308, Latitude X1, Latitude D420, Latitude D610, Latitude D620, Latitude D810, Latitude XT2

« Charging for the first time. | Newbie - Mini 9 or 12 ? This is drivin me nuts!!! »