Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default 10-11-2009, 10:49 PM

See my 3rd point above. Horses for courses?

I wouldn't have bought the Dell mini if it couldn't run OSX.
I would have bought a Unibody Macbook Mini from Apple, if there was such a thing.

I don't want a Dell, I want an Apple. Because there is no such thing, I made one (with help from the awesome people on this forum and elsewhere in Hackintosh land).

Dell Mini 10v | OSX 10.6.1 | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | 1510 Wifi | BIOS A04 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: ON | OEM BT 2.0: ON | NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 RC3

(#12) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-11-2009, 10:59 PM

What was it someone once said... "You can put lipstick on a pig... but it's still a pig!"

Something like that anyway!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#13) Old

Default 10-11-2009, 11:15 PM

Yeah, a damn sexy pig! :P

FWIW, I prefer my pork with apple too...

Back on topic, I thought about filling the Dell logo, but took an easier (and better looking to my eye) route:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...-case-mod.html

I'm still tempted to try embedding a backlit acrylic logo into the lid, Macbook-style...

Dell Mini 10v | OSX 10.6.1 | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | 1510 Wifi | BIOS A04 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: ON | OEM BT 2.0: ON | NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 RC3

(#14) Old

Default 10-12-2009, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Carnage View Post
Yeah, a damn sexy pig! :P

FWIW, I prefer my pork with apple too...

Back on topic, I thought about filling the Dell logo, but took an easier (and better looking to my eye) route:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...-case-mod.html

I'm still tempted to try embedding a backlit acrylic logo into the lid, Macbook-style...
Great job thinking outside the box, I like it.

Dell Mini 10v Mac OSX 10.6.2 1 GB RAM 160GB HDD BIOS A05 Blue Tooth 1510 WLAN 802.11g /n

NBI 8.2 -> NBI 8.3RC2 -> NBI 8.3RC3 -> NBI 8.3RC5 -> NBI 8.3 alpha

USB Legacy Disabled | USB Wake Enabled | BT Enabled |

www.suckerpunchent.com
  (#15) Old

Default 10-12-2009, 07:58 PM

As someone said earlier, "noice."

But, to me Max's apple logo looks out of proportion to the computer. The size of the stickers that come with ipods would look better IMHO.

Anyway, yes, as holmes pointed out, sand, bondo, sand, bondo, sand, sand, sand. Unless you're planning to repaint the whole cover, you're in for a world of hurt.

And I also agree that the Mac OS running on the Dell is great conversation starter in and of itself.
  (#16) Old

Default 10-12-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodminis View Post
As someone said earlier, "noice."

But, to me Max's apple logo looks out of proportion to the computer. The size of the stickers that come with ipods would look better IMHO.

Anyway, yes, as holmes pointed out, sand, bondo, sand, bondo, sand, sand, sand. Unless you're planning to repaint the whole cover, you're in for a world of hurt.

And I also agree that the Mac OS running on the Dell is great conversation starter in and of itself.
iPod sticker would be too small to cover the logo in of itself, which would require pulling the lid, prepping, and painting if you wanted it to look right.

I've got one more iPod sized sticker, once I get my solid skin linked in my original reply, I'm going to use it to form a smaller sized apple logo using the card method max posted and see what it looks like. If it looks like azz, I'll leave well enough alone, if it looks good I might glue it on there.

Dell Mini 10v Mac OSX 10.6.2 1 GB RAM 160GB HDD BIOS A05 Blue Tooth 1510 WLAN 802.11g /n

www.suckerpunchent.com
  (#17) Old

Default 10-12-2009, 08:14 PM

You're right, but the alternative is a smaller applique that is off-center or doesn't fully cover the Dell logo. Mine is the same size as the iPod apple stickers.

Still want to do this:
Surgery for Apple Logo

(#18) Old

Default 10-12-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Carnage View Post
You're right, but the alternative is a smaller applique that is off-center or doesn't fully cover the Dell logo. Mine is the same size as the iPod apple stickers.

Still want to do this:
Surgery for Apple Logo
That's a great mod. I wonder how much it costs to get the lid cut? I have an old titanium power book that is broken and can take the logo out of.

You know what I would do though is not repaint it black, but paint and clearcoat to make it look aluminum. Now that would be bad azz.

Edit: I wonder if I could replace the keys from the power book to the mini as well?

www.suckerpunchent.com
  (#19) Old

Default 10-13-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Hunter View Post

Edit: I wonder if I could replace the keys from the power book to the mini as well?
The Ti PBs were full-sized keyboards, so that would be a lot of trimming to nudge it into a 92% space and have it look nice. I'm also now trying to remember if the Ti keys had the same scissor mechanism....
  (#20) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 12:02 AM

Got the skin today that I referenced in my first post. Awesome! Came without the Dell logo cutout. All you have to do is tell them to send you the solid version in the notes. Also got the palm rest skin (suede like material)...glad I did because it works great. I can't tell you how many times I've been typing on the mini and had my palms accidentally hit the touchpad... causing me to type somewhere else on the page because the cursor moved.

This weekend I'll probably try Max's Apple mod and see what it looks like on the skin

www.suckerpunchent.com

« New guy here, just ordered 2nd Mini | webcam driver »