Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default 10-29-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
According to a online chat guy at dell and Intels website the Z530 CPu ( found in the 1010) supports Intel VT

I am now looking at the 10 and with a 15% coupon the deal is even better
I'm not an owner of a mini (though expecting a delivery today), but from what I've read the RAM on the 10 is soldered onto the motherboard, and not user upgradable. Noticed you asking about upgrading RAM on the 10v earlier in the thread and thought I'd mention that the 10 is a bit of a different beast.

From my readings:
9: Easy (flap on bottom)
10v: PITA (rip the thing apart to install it)
10: Nada (soldered to mobo)

I might be mistaken though, maybe someone who owns one can chime in?

Max
  (#12) Old

Default 10-29-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidMax View Post
I'm not an owner of a mini (though expecting a delivery today), but from what I've read the RAM on the 10 is soldered onto the motherboard, and not user upgradable. Noticed you asking about upgrading RAM on the 10v earlier in the thread and thought I'd mention that the 10 is a bit of a different beast.

From my readings:
9: Easy (flap on bottom)
10v: PITA (rip the thing apart to install it)
10: Nada (soldered to mobo)

I might be mistaken though, maybe someone who owns one can chime in?

Max
Saw that thanks

Looking at a 10 now with 2GB already then I can upgrade/add Bluetooth and wireless N later

I have my Mac Book Pro for OSX I need something i can install Win 7 on to play with but I thought the XP mode was like a virtual machine ( like fusion with XP on my Mac)

I have some software I need to run on XP and would prefer to have it on a Netbook, but I guess i could always dual boot..
  (#13) Old

Default 10-29-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I thought the XP mode was like a virtual machine ( like fusion with XP on my Mac)

I have some software I need to run on XP and would prefer to have it on a Netbook, but I guess i could always dual boot..
I haven't used Fusion, but yes, XP mode on Windows 7 is basically a VM that you download from the Microsoft site and runs in Virtual PC on Win7. I have it installed on my tablet at the moment but haven't really had a proper play with it.

Yeah, dual booting can be a pain, but on netbooks with such limited processing power and RAM, it might be the best route to keep ones sanity? I guess it's easy enough to try XP mode and then stick with it if it works or not if it doesn't

Though I'm not sure about dual booting XP and 7, I suppose you'd need to install XP first so that it doesn't blow away the 7 booter or something... Shame that you can't get updated software so you can do away with XP altogether.
  (#14) Old

Default 10-29-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I haven't used Fusion, but yes, XP mode on Windows 7 is basically a VM that you download from the Microsoft site and runs in Virtual PC on Win7. I have it installed on my tablet at the moment but haven't really had a proper play with it.

Yeah, dual booting can be a pain, but on netbooks with such limited processing power and RAM, it might be the best route to keep ones sanity? I guess it's easy enough to try XP mode and then stick with it if it works or not if it doesn't

Though I'm not sure about dual booting XP and 7, I suppose you'd need to install XP first so that it doesn't blow away the 7 booter or something... Shame that you can't get updated software so you can do away with XP altogether.
oh I could but the catch is this is for datalogging OBD 1 and 2 from cars.. current version I have are open to GM OBD ( any GM cars) if I upgrade then I have to go to specific models which I don't want so i need to stay with one machine with XP.. I run fusion on my mac with Xp and that works so I figure the VM in Windows 7 shoudl

I just thought one small netbook would be nice to use for that and the battery life tends to be longer..

My mac is about 2.5 years old and I use it as my primary machine at home.. this would be a test bed for things too
  (#15) Old

Default 10-29-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
oh I could but the catch is this is for datalogging OBD 1 and 2 from cars.. current version I have are open to GM OBD ( any GM cars) if I upgrade then I have to go to specific models which I don't want so i need to stay with one machine with XP.. I run fusion on my mac with Xp and that works so I figure the VM in Windows 7 shoudl

I just thought one small netbook would be nice to use for that and the battery life tends to be longer..

My mac is about 2.5 years old and I use it as my primary machine at home.. this would be a test bed for things too
Oh car datalogging, very cool. I haven't done any myself but look into it from time to time. I'm surprised they went 'backwards' with their software, usually things start out diverged and end up in universal solution, heh.

Another thing you could try is running the application directly in Win7 and setting the compatibility mode to XP + SP3, if you haven't already? You might get lucky and it might work well. Hard to say, guess it depends on how low level it gets, and what APIs it pokes its head into.

Have you considered the jump to something like the 11z? I've only glanced at it but it seems to be a serious jump from the atom processors. I'd expect that'd likely run less battery life but better for processing power, and only a little more girth than the 10s? I don't really know that much about them, sorry.
  (#16) Old

Default 10-29-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Oh car datalogging, very cool. I haven't done any myself but look into it from time to time. I'm surprised they went 'backwards' with their software, usually things start out diverged and end up in universal solution, heh.

Another thing you could try is running the application directly in Win7 and setting the compatibility mode to XP + SP3, if you haven't already? You might get lucky and it might work well. Hard to say, guess it depends on how low level it gets, and what APIs it pokes its head into.

Have you considered the jump to something like the 11z? I've only glanced at it but it seems to be a serious jump from the atom processors. I'd expect that'd likely run less battery life but better for processing power, and only a little more girth than the 10s? I don't really know that much about them, sorry.
Yeah I could, but then it is like well I could go to this size then this.. etc. you know how that goes.. if I buy a 10 I will get the most I can although I am looking at a 2gig ram with Atom 1330 due to cost vs the atom 1600..

this is mainly to get Windows 7 on it and make sure all the software I need will work.

See I also take care of the computers at my parents business, and I don't want to upgrade all of theirs until I know stuff will work, which is what this netbook will be..

I want it portable and while the 11z is small the Mini 10 is smaller and might be a better fit
  (#17) Old

Default 10-29-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah I could, but then it is like well I could go to this size then this.. etc. you know how that goes.. if I buy a 10 I will get the most I can although I am looking at a 2gig ram with Atom 1330 due to cost vs the atom 1600..

this is mainly to get Windows 7 on it and make sure all the software I need will work.

See I also take care of the computers at my parents business, and I don't want to upgrade all of theirs until I know stuff will work, which is what this netbook will be..

I want it portable and while the 11z is small the Mini 10 is smaller and might be a better fit
I certainly know how that goes.. 'well, the next model up is only xx more pricey...', then suddenly you're shelling out big bucks and thinking 'wait, didn't I want something minimal?'

Sounds like the 10 is perfect for what you're needing then The only other thing I would have mentioned is that the 10v would run OSX but the 10 wouldn't, but since you have an Apple PC already, that likely isn't a concern for you.
  (#18) Old

Default 10-29-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I certainly know how that goes.. 'well, the next model up is only xx more pricey...', then suddenly you're shelling out big bucks and thinking 'wait, didn't I want something minimal?'

Sounds like the 10 is perfect for what you're needing then The only other thing I would have mentioned is that the 10v would run OSX but the 10 wouldn't, but since you have an Apple PC already, that likely isn't a concern for you.

Right, Althogh at first it was but the 1366x768 is of mor interest to me.. after using my wife's Mini 9

« battery search on Dell Outlet | Which bluetooth module? »