Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default mini10v XP preinstalled, dualboot DELL ubuntu, FAT32 data partition. help? - 10-04-2009, 01:56 PM

hi!

ordered a mini 10v (15% off) with XP. its on its way now.
want to dual boot it with DELL ubuntu.
also contemplating on creating a third (FAT32) data partition that can be read by both OS.

queries:

* where can i download the DELL ubuntu .iso?

* how do i go about doing this? steps please?
1. shrink XP partition; create another two partitions; install ubuntu on one of the partitions?
2. install ubuntu (will create its own partition?), create the 3rd data partition?

* can i use EASEUS partition tool to do the partitioning?
EASEUS Partition Master is a magic partition manager software for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/2003/2008 Server. Free for home users.

any help would be greatly appreciated..

thanks in advance!!!! c",)

jeraldyne
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 10-04-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanjeraldyne View Post
* where can i download the DELL ubuntu .iso?
dell ubuntu iso - Google Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;107801
* how do i go about doing this? steps please?
1. shrink XP partition; create another two partitions; install ubuntu on one of the partitions?
2. install ubuntu (will create its own partition?), create the 3rd data partition?

* can i use EASEUS partition tool to do the partitioning?
The Ubuntu installer can shrink partitions. I think it's pretty straightforward.

I'd probably give Ubuntu a 6GB system partition. I prefer to run without a swap (virtual memory) partition, but you might want a swap partition equal or greater than your RAM, so that you can hibernate.

As for a FAT32 data partition, figure out how much space you need/want for the XP system partition, then shrink it appropriately. Then during the Ubuntu install (or afterwards), create a FAT32 partition, and set it to mount at "/home/user/tanjeraldyne/data" (that way it's conveniently mounted under your user dir). You can even mount it similarly under Windows, say at "C:\Documents and Settings\tanjeraldyne\My Documents\data".

You could also go without a FAT partition, and rely on Linux support for reading and writing NTFS. Then, you'd just want to make a folder in your user dir in Windows, then mount it similarly under Ubuntu.

Good luck.

More info on dual-booting: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 10-06-2009, 12:35 PM

reflex:

thanksalot for the tips and the link. will go ahead and do it once the mini 10 gets here! c",)

« Mini means MINI, I want a 9! | Need help deciding from those who have them. »