Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Send a message via AIM to n4s720
Default Quick Question - 12-03-2008, 06:00 PM

I just bought my Mini-9, I'm still waiting for it to arrive but I already plan to do some upgrades; such as 2 gigs of ram and greater capacity.

After reading the new blog post about SSDs with greater write speeds, what is the stock write speed on the Mini's SSD? Is it worth it to put in this higher performance SSD or should I just leave the stock one and get a SDHC card?

Thanks.

Black Mini 9, 16 gig SSD, 1 gig of RAM, 1.3mpx webcam, bluetooth, Windows XP
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Quick Question - 12-03-2008, 06:05 PM

Its really going to depend on what you are doing specifically with your mini. If you are not running write intensive applications you may be just fine to go with an SD card for added storage. Your safest bet is to just use your mini and see if it performs as you feel it should. You can do some tweaking and see if that helps and if your still not satisfied it may very well be "worth" buying the faster SSD.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Quick Question - 12-03-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekWarren
Its really going to depend on what you are doing specifically with your mini. If you are not running write intensive applications you may be just fine to go with an SD card for added storage. Your safest bet is to just use your mini and see if it performs as you feel it should. You can do some tweaking and see if that helps and if your still not satisfied it may very well be "worth" buying the faster SSD.

Well, I'm a teacher and I'm going to use to to show my powerpoint presentations in class instead of hauling my larger, and older laptop with me.

That being said, I'll also use it for internet and writing tests and what not while I'm at school.

(#4) Old

Default Re: Quick Question - 12-03-2008, 11:24 PM

At this point, wait for some reviews. A number of us have ordered the new "faster" RunCore parts (faster write, slower read than the existing STEC parts, and will post our experiences, both benchmarks as well as "feel" here once we get them.

I wouldn't buy anything other than an MDD Runcore SSD at this point either, since the earlier MDD parts are generally perceived to be too slow, and Dell now has 32GB STEC's available.

The original STEC parts are 75/15 (read/write burst rates in Mbps), and the new MDD Runcore parts are around 60/40 according to the testing at jkkmobile.

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Quick Question - 12-04-2008, 08:57 AM

Alright, thanks for the input. I'll hold tight and wait before I upgrade the SSD.

« Just ordered my Mini 9! | What does the battery app even do? »