Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Leopard installed...how to add win 7 dual boot? - 10-02-2009, 01:10 AM

Just picked up a mini 9 w/ 2gb ram 32gb ssd. It has leopard as the only OS installed. I want to add windows 7, with a dual boot option. I'd like to use most of the space for win7, so if I can shrink leopard down to a minimum and partition it off for win7, so much the better.

Is this possible? I don't have the leopard install disk, mini came as-is.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 10-02-2009, 01:49 AM

Welcome to MyDellMini

First off, I would recommend purchasing a Leopard (or Snow Leopard) retail disk because it could come in very handy down the road.

I do not think it would be possible (or easy) to shrink your OSX partition and turn your machine into a dual-boot setup

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#3) Old

Default 10-02-2009, 07:19 AM

Thx for the welcome and reply. I'll probably just stick with win7 since all the software I use is windows based. I'll revisit SL later on.
  (#4) Old

Default 10-03-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indeep View Post
Thx for the welcome and reply. I'll probably just stick with win7 since all the software I use is windows based. I'll revisit SL later on.
yes u can resize ur osx partition, but its risky so its a good idea to make abackup, all u have to do is get a ubuntu live disk, boot it up, select partition editor under adminsteration, select ur osx partition, select move/resize, and drag the arrow to the left, after thats complete u have another patition, just clikco n it and select new. now the last thing to do is click apply. this works fine, i used it to make my win7 partition into 45gb

PS. You cannot amke partitions larger, only smaller, if u wanna make them larger just delete them, and remake them.

Alienware M15x|Black|BT|GT 240m|Intel i5|Windows 7 64-bit|
  (#5) Old

Default 10-03-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDKwutName View Post
PS. You cannot amke partitions larger, only smaller, if u wanna make them larger just delete them, and remake them.
Yes, you can. There just can't be another partition directly after it or disk utility will refuse to enlarge it. If all that is after the partition is free space it'll let you resize larger.

Dell mini 10v OSx 10.6.2 | Windows 7

« root password | how to make an @ on 10v with OSX? »