Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Please help me decide which one based on my needs. - 10-01-2009, 06:13 PM

I’m looking to get either a Mini10 or Mini10v and would like some help deciding which to get.
I have searched this site and the web quite a bit and have gotten some partial answers, but not really a solid reason why I should buy one over the other. I’ll be traveling in November for three weeks and would like to take one on my trip. Here’s my intended usages:

ยทRun Windows, don’t care which version, probably XP or maybe newer. Might install Ubuntu down the road, but probably not. Will not be installing OS X.
ยทWill use it for wireless web surfing and email. (Either 10 or 10 v can do this fine.)
ยทWill use it to download my photos to HDD. (Either 10 or 10v can do this, prefer a SATA drive.)
ยทWould like to be able to watch movies. All movies will be ripped to files in various formats like divx and mpeg. Also watch flash based video like that on Hulu. I will not be hooking up an external DVD drive.
ยทWould like to be able to play older games, but not a priority at all as I might never do so.

So, those are the main uses for me. I know the mini10 has the GMA 500 video and the mini10v has the GMA 950 video. I know some video will be able to utilize the GPU and others like Flash/Hulu use the CPU to render the video. My Wikipedia and web searches really have not shown one graphic chip to be better than the other. Wikipedia states the 500 has more hardware acceleration built in, but if it doesn’t help the video types listed, it may not be better.
I also realize they have different Atom CPU series, but again have not been able to determine which is better. The CPU power will be useful of course and will be critical playing some types of video.
I’ll be buying one of the cheaper computers out of the Dell outlet. That means I’ll be getting the basic display regardless of model. Even the cheap ones have a 120 or 160 GB HDD which is plenty for me.
Given this, which model do you think would be best and why? I have searched but been unable to find any kind of definitive guide stating the info I need to make an informed choice. Thanks for your help!

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

I have seen the RAM video:

http://www.youtube.com/user/anguish7.../7/-DGxwGUdOsw

So if I go with the 10v, I'll probably upgrade the RAM to 2 GB after the trip.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 10-01-2009, 06:43 PM

I fixed the title for you. My recommendation would be the 10v.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 10-01-2009, 06:55 PM

Steve, thank you
  (#4) Old

Default 10-01-2009, 10:50 PM

I would do the 10 just to get HD for video viewing, but that may simply be my reaction to working only with 10v's because they can be hackintoshed (grass is always greener, and the like ).

Other than that, I would let price be my guide. The outlet does have some deals - Tuesday and Wednesday will yield an occasional basic black 10v for $219 (you have to keep checking back because they go fast). Outlet inventory has been steadily backing up, so I'm wondering if a coupon code for the outlet might not be in the offing in the next week or two.

Really, don't sweat the small stuff. If you really hate some feature that you end up with, the market is strong enough that you can sell it and buy anew with little loss.
  (#5) Old

Default 10-02-2009, 06:04 PM

Hotrodminis, Thanks for the reply. I did see some great deals on Wednesday morning and they were sold out quickly. They were at the $219 range I believe. Not knowing what the schedule of the supply to the outlet is, I woke up early this morning and there were no deals. Thanks for this tip because I saw them out there and know they can be had. Do you know what time in the morning is best to check?

Also, are you saying you think the GMA500 might play videos better? We watch hulu the most and I believe that is flash based which should also mean the load is on the CPU. In the outlet some of the great deals did have the faster CPU too. Other formats like AVI and MEPG might get a benefit from a GPU though if the 500 is in fact better for that.

Finally, the ability to insert 2GB of RAM in the 10v should help things a lot. This is a tough decision. I'll see what deals there are on the days you suggested.

Thanks!
  (#6) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 10-02-2009, 06:12 PM

There really is no magic time to check the Outlet. They are adding stock *constantly*. I even saw new models added around 11pm Central time one evening. The cheap units do go fast though!

Getting an iPad
  (#7) Old

Default 10-02-2009, 08:42 PM

I know that new things do get dumped into the outlet on an ongoing basis. You have to bookmark it and check back 4-5 times a day (hit the sort-by-price button to make your life easier).

It's been my experience that Tuesdays and Wednesdays tend to have the largest number of lowest prices (many more $239's in stock and the occasional $219s). As the week progresses, the $239s and $259s get bought up. By the end of the weekend, there are few deals to be had (unless you are looking for a specific combo of things), sometimes nothing less than $299.

Oh, and when hunting for the uber-cheap, make sure to NOT grab a scratch and dent by mistake - they can be ug-ly.
  (#8) Old

Default 10-02-2009, 09:38 PM

Good advice. I'll post here what I get when I confirm one. Sounds like I'll be getting up early next week to check the site.
  (#9) Old

Default 10-02-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microarmor View Post
Good advice. I'll post here what I get when I confirm one. Sounds like I'll be getting up early next week to check the site.
Early is not necessarily the key - I got two last week mid-day-ish.
  (#10) Old

Default 10-03-2009, 12:55 PM

if u wanna play videos go with a 10 and a hd screen. if u wanna run ubuntu get a 10v

Alienware M15x|Black|BT|GT 240m|Intel i5|Windows 7 64-bit|

« Looking for AC Adapter | display problems »