Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Question BIOS downgrade: use Windows or DOS? - 09-30-2009, 12:13 PM

Reading through the forums, I've seen almost every discussion on downgrading from A06 to A04 bios talk about the DOS-booting option. Is there a reason why the windows-based BIOS installer is not used? I was planning on booting into windows when I get my mini 10v and use the windows-based bios installer before using netbook-installer.

There was a passing reference in one thread about it bricking a mini and requiring a USB floppy of some sort, but I couldn't find any verifiable reason to avoid this method.

Does the Windows BIOS installer allow the forced override of an older version? Is there a greater risk in using the Windows installer?
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 09-30-2009, 03:53 PM

The major risk in using the Windows installer is that it gives the appearance that it is not doing anything for a long time, and if you power off the machine in the middle of the process, you can "brick" the mini. The DOS method, with a USB flash drive, is not only faster but more reliable and makes it easy to install an older BIOS.

The USB floppy thing you read about was a repair option should you have already bricked the Mini. It is not necessary in the normal course of events.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 09-30-2009, 08:22 PM

OK - that's a clear summary. I just hadn't heard of anything using the windows updater and was curious why everyone was avoiding it.
  (#4) Old

Default 10-01-2009, 06:52 AM

Also, I don't have a good feeling about flashing the Bios in a multitask OS.
You never know what happens in the background, and will maybe interrupt the process (and kill your device).

DOS is most likely the better choice.

Dell Mini 10v | 1GB RAM | 16GB SSD | 1024 x 600 | OS X 10.6.1 | NBI 0.8.3 RC3 | USB Legacy: Off | 16GB Sandisk Ultra II SDHC sawed off
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-11-2009, 01:33 PM

What a lot of folks don't appreciate (and I apologise in advance to those who do! ) is that flashing a BIOS is not the same thing as updating a program, or installing some new drivers.

What you are doing in effect is re-programming a 'chip' on the main circuit board (motherboard) of your netbook, so you are working down at 'hardware' rather than 'software' level.

It is that much more important therefore to minimise, as far as possible, the chances of anything going wrong, which is why it is recommended that this process be carried out at DOS level, rather than from within Windows.

If the process is interrupted, or fails for any reason, you could easily be left with a non functioning computer, which it may not be that easy to bring back to life again, and could even result in it having to be returned to Dell!

It is not therefore a task to be undertaken lightly!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN

« new mini 10 z520 cpu 1gb ram 160gb hdd | Looking for AC Adapter »