Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Just ordered my Mini 9! - 12-03-2008, 05:19 AM

I found this site a few weeks ago and lurked but it was this site that made me pick the Mini9 from the rest of the Netbooks. I really like the design element of the Mini9 and Dell support is a lot better IMO than Asus for netbooks.

I was able to get a great deal on one, I paid $424 for a Mini9 with 1GB of ram, 16GB SSD, wifi, bluetooth, and XP, not too bad for a netbook this capable.

I noticed in pictures that the minipcie connectors are the same so shouldn't another SSD fit where the WiFi goes for instance? Also would there be a big speed difference in buying a 16GB SD card for $30 rather a 32GB SSD for $250?

Thanks again for this site BTW, it is a great help and has a lot of knowledge, hope I can be a contributing member!
  (#2) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Just ordered my Mini 9! - 12-03-2008, 08:20 AM

The SSD PCI-e slot is wired differently than the other PCI-e slots, all of the pins labeled "unused" in the PCI-e spec are used for the actual IDE bus. Really screwy way to do things, but seems the other netbooks are doing it in a similar fashion.
As for speed, all of the drive sizes that Dell offers should be the same speed, the 8 and 16gb units benchmark the same. I don't think anyone here has gotten their hands on a 32gb STEC drive yet, but I expect it to simply have larger chips/more of them.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Just ordered my Mini 9! - 12-03-2008, 11:30 PM

As far as SSD vs. SDHC performance is concerned, here's some benchmarks people have posted. Obviously the SSD is much faster than the SDHC card.

http://mydellmini.com/forum/ssd-and-...marks-t81.html

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n

« External DVD drive not recognized | Quick Question »