Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Getting Rid of Bloatware - 09-24-2009, 09:48 AM

I am expecting my nice shiny new Mini 10v to arrive from Dell in the next few days. The first thing I want to do is remove all the unnecessary software and bloatware on it to help speed it up.

Anyone have a good guide as to what to remove (and how to do it) to maximise performance using XP and 1gb of RAM?

Thanks
  (#2) Old

Default 09-24-2009, 12:08 PM

nlite

This posting is a little old so there may be some updated software to look for but this should still work just fine, since after all it is still XP were talking about.

Completing this tutorial will shrink your XP installation down to 687mb from the usual 1.5 gigs.

Everything you need should be in this guide:
EEEguides.com: nite your XP installation for your Asus EEE PC

- Enjoy!
DNA

Dell Mini 10v | 160GB HD | 2GB RAM |  10.6.3 Retail Install | Webcam | WiFi | Ethernet | Memory Reader | Mic | Time Machine | Sound Out/Mic/Int | Ext VGA | Flawless!
find me on irc! chat.osx86.hu #iPhone , #hackint0sh & more!
  (#3) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 09-24-2009, 12:25 PM

About 15 minutes in Add/Remove Programs will clean it up nicely. There isn't much extra that Dell puts on the 10v XP install. I usually do clean installs on hardware but it's just not worth the effort here.

Getting an iPad
  (#4) Old

Default 09-24-2009, 12:36 PM

Thanks! Looking forward to a nice clean XP on my 10v, until I swap across to Win7 of course.
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 09-24-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper View Post
About 15 minutes in Add/Remove Programs will clean it up nicely. There isn't much extra that Dell puts on the 10v XP install. I usually do clean installs on hardware but it's just not worth the effort here.
Exactly. I like to use CCleaner just because Windows takes forever to populate the list for Add/Remove programs and it is annoying. CCleaner seems to be instant and quicker

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#6) Old

Default 09-26-2009, 11:37 AM

While my desktop will be my main workhorse, I removed MS works, as the text and html message composition options of MSOE will do for any word processing I would ever do with the mini. I dumped the Adobe acrobat reader100MB+ for the free foxit pdf reader, which requires less drive space >8 MB. I understand hat now the foxit installation likes to add extra baggage of it's own, toolbar, etc., so one has to keep any eye one it when and after installing. As another mention I spent time with using windows uninstall utility. I f I remember where I put my notes I'll post them here as to what I did. That nLite utility looks impressive, but scary at the same time.
  (#7) Old

Default 09-29-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
nlite

Completing this tutorial will shrink your XP installation down to 687mb from the usual 1.5 gigs.

Everything you need should be in this guide:
EEEguides.com: nite your XP installation for your Asus EEE PC

- Enjoy!
DNA

This does look scary, but incredibly useful. Those endless pages of junk, not just unwanted programs or bloatware, but really useless bits and actions buried in there that are just not needed. I wish I had the guts to use it on my desktop! I just don't know what all that junk does, but I can tell most of it is useless.
  (#8) Old

Default 10-02-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenmo View Post
I am expecting my nice shiny new Mini 10v to arrive from Dell in the next few days. The first thing I want to do is remove all the unnecessary software and bloatware on it to help speed it up.

Anyone have a good guide as to what to remove (and how to do it) to maximize performance using XP and 1gb of RAM?

Thanks
I did it the easy way......formatted the hard drive and clean installed
I'm tempted to post a guide, but its pretty basic stuff - at least it seems that way to me because I've done it a jillion times over the years -hehe.

I'd still write it though (if you wanted)

Dell Mini 10v
1 gig ram
GMA 950 video
  (#9) Old

Default 10-06-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcclure937 View Post
Exactly. I like to use CCleaner just because Windows takes forever to populate the list for Add/Remove programs and it is annoying. CCleaner seems to be instant and quicker
I use CCleaer almost every day!! Try to keep your clean install of XP this will help you on the long run!

# Netbookfiles.com Your Netbook's Software and Driver Source!
  (#10) Old

Default CCleaner - 10-06-2009, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehboob View Post
I use CCleaer almost every day!! Try to keep your clean install of XP this will help you on the long run!
I have also been using CCleaner for years. My I.T. nephew recommended it and it has been a lifesaver in getting rid of try-out programs that seem to invade the system, or conflict with what I already have. I also use the get rid of junk features and even use the registry cleaner. I don't know enough to deal with the registry myself. It always makes a pre-clean back-up, and I haven't had any problems with what it has removed. I've tried other programs and they have caused problems, where I have had to go to a previous restore point. No doubt my curiosity and enthusiasm will get me into trouble again, but I do trust CCleaner...after all the security software, it's one of the first programs I load.

« boot loader download cd. | Mini means MINI, I want a 9! »