Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Dell Mini 9 not Atom 330? - 09-23-2009, 02:33 AM

You know the whole time I was running Windows 7 on my Dell Mini 9 it said I had two cores,
and I thought it was running the 330 CPU,
it wasn't until I installed OSX that I realized it was the N270

Now wonder the thing was so slow, I mean it ran Win7 great, but It sure didn't seem like it was a Dual Core.

Anyways on a side note, I have just installed OSX 10.5.8 onto my Dell Mini
9's 16GB SSD, and I have 8.29GB of FREE SPACE!

I striped out a few things to gain the extra space, but there is still quite a
few things I left that could be deleted to gain even more space, I left some
backgrounds and quite a few language packs, fonts etc that I could remove
if needed.

I'm going to create a "free" utility to help anyone else wanting to free up some space on their Dell Mini 9,
I will post it here as well as on my blog when it's ready.

Dell Mini 10v | 160GB HD | 2GB RAM |  10.6.3 Retail Install | Webcam | WiFi | Ethernet | Memory Reader | Mic | Time Machine | Sound Out/Mic/Int | Ext VGA | Flawless!
find me on irc! chat.osx86.hu #iPhone , #hackint0sh & more!
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 09-23-2009, 02:41 AM

Yeah. AFAIK there are no netbooks that use the dual-core atoms (330s, etc).

You will find netbooks with the N270 and N280 for the time being... which are single-core, hyper-threaded.

This appears as dual cores in Task Manager and whatnot but it is showing the multiple threading.

Most people already know that the Minis do not have a dual-core CPU

Now... as for your "tool" you plan on developing. What do you plan to make it do?

Using Snow Leopard there should not be much that needs to be stripped from the OS. You can customize during the install not to include Languages and Printer Drivers. And Monolingual / XSlimmer are already available utilities. Don't mean to bust your bubble... but what else would you need to do?!

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#3) Old

Default 09-23-2009, 11:04 AM

There are actually netbooks that use the Intel Atom 330 Processor, they have been around for sometime now, since about June I think.

This is one of the ones I know of, it's got some pretty nice specs for a netbook...
???? - BTO????????? Prime(????) PrimeNoteCresion NA

Now as for the tool, I haven't tried XSlimmer or the unmentioned Trimmit (Free), but I doubt it does what I plan on implementing in my tool. And I have used Monolingual (Great Free Program) but it doesn't begin to touch the surface my tool would.

As you can see in my signature, I have OSX 10.5.8 Installed on a 16GB SSD, and I still have 8.29GB of Free Space, and I could free up even more if I wanted too.

My tool would give the user the advanced option of removing some files that are optional, and not required by the OS, for example, the wallpapers, and screensavers. Now you could by all means remove these manually, but why not have simple tool that puts everything you can rip out into one place.
Do you really need the synthetic voices? Personally I'd rather have that extra GB of free space. There is so much crap you will likely never use taking up valuable real estate on that SSD.

Dell Mini 10v | 160GB HD | 2GB RAM |  10.6.3 Retail Install | Webcam | WiFi | Ethernet | Memory Reader | Mic | Time Machine | Sound Out/Mic/Int | Ext VGA | Flawless!
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 09-23-2009, 12:31 PM

Awesome idea for the tool.

As far as that product you linked to... I would never purchase from that site. New netbooks will begin using NVidia Ion and Intel Atom "Pineview".

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#5) Old

Default 09-23-2009, 12:34 PM

I atom 330 is a "desktop" chip and they never made a dual core "mobile" chip,so thats why they're all single core. Putting the 330 in a netbook probably isnt a good idea

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#6) Old

Default 09-24-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcclure937 View Post
Awesome idea for the tool.

As far as that product you linked to... I would never purchase from that site. New netbooks will begin using NVidia Ion and Intel Atom "Pineview".
Thanks

And yes, I wouldn't order from that site either.
Have you seen the new Macbook Air Clone?
Now that I would buy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeth_03 View Post
I atom 330 is a "desktop" chip and they never made a dual core "mobile" chip,so thats why they're all single core. Putting the 330 in a netbook probably isnt a good idea
I agree, and in fact intel did say the same thing, however, there are netbooks using them..

« How to replace/upgrade Proc/Memory boards? | Can a Mini 9 do Remote Access? »