Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default External DVD drive not recognized - 12-01-2008, 06:15 PM

I just recieved the I/O Magic external DVD+-RW for my Mini 9 and can not get it to recognize it or even see it actually. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
v/r
wood
  (#2) Old

Default Re: External DVD drive not recognized - 12-01-2008, 11:35 PM

Are you running Windows?

Is it the version that was shipped with the system? Or did you do anything like nLite the OS before you plugged the DVD in?

With the DVD plugged in, right click on My Computer and Select Properties. Click the Hardware tab, then the Device Manager button. Look thru the list and see if there are any exclamation points. Look for the DVD drive. Is it there? When you double click on it what does it say? Could be you need to install a driver.

One thing you might do if it shows up in the device list, but isn't recognized for some reason is right click it and select Uninstall. Then reboot the machine. Now does it work?

Still no? Hook it up to the internet, then right click on the device, find the device driver tab and click update driver or whatever. Tell it to feel free and look on the internet for the driver.

Now does it work?

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#3) Old

Default Re: External DVD drive not recognized - 12-02-2008, 06:36 PM

Thank you for your suggestions but I finally figured it out. I feel kind of stupid ops: but when I hooked it up lastnight it was running on battery power only. Come to find out battery power is not enough to make the DVD spin and thus it was not recognized.

V/R
Wood
  (#4) Old

Default Re: External DVD drive not recognized - 12-03-2008, 12:01 AM

I'm pretty sure I've run my external DVD on battery power. Could be its more power efficient?

You might want to get one of those Y-connector USB cables, that allow you to draw power from two USB ports. Should allow you to get this one working.

I've got quite a few of these, but I think they came with various USB disk drive enclosures or something. Not sure where you buy one raw, but I'm sure you can find one if you look.

Course maybe you don't care...

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n

« Lost my programs under Entertainment Icon | Just ordered my Mini 9! »