Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Send a message via AIM to MudTortoise Send a message via Skype™ to MudTortoise
Default How to replace/upgrade Proc/Memory boards? - 09-21-2009, 07:05 PM

I just cracked open the Mini 10 I purchased at the Post Exchange for the very first time. After wrangling through the cables and popping off the final layer underneath the keyboard, I was dismayed to find that the Proc and Memory were soldered onto the same board. That's why it was so damn difficult to get into this. Thirty bucks on 2GB of RAM for nothing; I was wondering why there was no backplate on this thing, and I had to disassemble this from the top down. Doesn't make me want to toss the machine, but it is dismaying that my only expansion options now will be upgrading to a 500GB HD (or higher depending on how late I take this path) and maybe slapping something into the micro card slot I found (I was wondering how there was even a cavity in this thing... much less an unoccupied slot). Asides from uninstalling every piece of Dell software except for the TV Tuner, how else am I going to make this machine not chug so much on displaying PDFs?

For four hundred bucks... I still thought it was superior to an E-Book Reader; a 17incher is a pain when I'm not looking to play games at the time, and I treat this thing like a handheld, clumsily, but it feels right...

Back on topic: Where can I purchase these Combo Proc/Memory boards? Is there a standard format for them?

The Atom 530 I am happy with (as I understand... Atom 550 is probably the best I can pray for right now - if they ever sold 'em to individuals), but the mem... gotta go.

The interface slot fits memory perfectly... and yeah, I could have slapped the 2GB of RAM on there... if I didn't want a processor.

Anyone have any advice? Is there even memory packs that could come in a micro-card slot?

Pardon the tangents, my mind is still reeling from all the work for this lemonparty of a result.
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 09-22-2009, 04:39 AM

Dell is the only source.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 09-22-2009, 06:06 PM

Unlike desktops, there is no proper standard for anything other than RAM, hard drives or Mini-PCIe cards when it comes to laptops. Some manufactures do have a very complex standard for laptop parts, but they are designed for 17" behemoths, not a netbook.

Dell Mini 10v | Product (RED) | Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Remix | 8GB Samsung MLC SSD | 1510 Wireless a/b/g/n Mini-Card | 6 Cell Battery | 1024x600 | UK Keyboard
Dell Streak | Black | Android 2.2 DJSteve 1.4.6 | 16GB Standard MicroSDHC | GiffGaff
  (#4) Old

Default 09-24-2009, 12:48 AM

The ram on the mini 10 is not upgradable but on the mini 10v you can upgrade the ram to 2 GB it is not soldered on to the board, send it back to Dell and ask for a mini 10v there is more you can do with a mini 10v

Dell Mini 9 / 2 GB Ram / 16 GB RunCore / Bluetooth / A05 BIOS / OSX 10.6.1
Dell Mini 10 / 2GB Ram / 320 GB Hard Drive / Bluetooth / A06 BIOS / OSX 10.6.1
Acer Apire One 150 / 1.5 GB Ram / 120 GB Hard Drive / OSX 10.6.1
Apple Intel Imac / 2GHz Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 1 TB Hard drive / OSX 10.6.1 and Windows 7
Apple Intel Mac Mini / 2GHz Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 500 GB Hard Drive / OSX 10.6.1
Apple MacPro / 2.93GHz 8 Core / 16GB Ram / 2 TB Hard Drive / OSX 10.6.1

« Screeen Resolution/Size Issue | Dell Mini 9 not Atom 330? »