Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Question Mini means MINI, I want a 9! - 09-19-2009, 12:36 AM

Hello all, new member here. I don't even own a Mini yet, but it is not for lack of trying.

I really don't understand why Dell discontinued the 9, when it is selling for over $400 on Amazon and consistently goes for $300 or more on e-bay. And these are refurbished, of course. But it seems the 9" is still very popular.

I'm drawn to the smaller size because it will actually fit in my purse and there are many days I wish I had access to a computer. It has to have wireless access. I know I won't be able to get a new one, but does anyone have any good sources for the Mini 9 I likely have not found? I've used price grabber, and shop.com and haven't come up with much.

I'd like to get the best processor it has, and am thinking of upgrading it myself (I have NEVER done anything like that, but the youtube videos make it look so easy!) with high-level Runcore, maybe 68GB or at least 32.

Any comments? And this is almost my first post (I told someone about an external drive I saw during my Mini 9 cruising) so this is my official hello, I guess!

Sunfishie
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 09-19-2009, 12:54 AM

Welcome to the forum! There are used Mini 9s for sale in our for-sale section, and periodically Dell offers another group of them, or its twin the Vostro A90. In fact, there's such an offer going on right now.

As for upgrading, the RunCore SSDs are good - the new SuperTalents are almost as fast.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Guru

Default 09-19-2009, 02:25 AM

Hello.

As mentioned above, the Mini 9 and its twin, the Vostro A90, have been offered for sale several times from Dell, after the Mini 9 was discontinued. The Vostro A90 deal, also mentioned above, is especially awesome, although the lack of Windows may be a deal breaker.

They're also available refurbished from the official Dell Outlet, that's where I got mine. Sign up for the Dell coupon emails here. 15% off coupons are common, but it can be hard to find what you're looking for in the Outlet, and when good deals pop up, they don't last long.

Also, you mention "wireless access". Do you mean cellular internet? I can't help you there. My Mini 9 just has the standard WiFi (like at a coffee shop).

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#4) Old

Default 09-19-2009, 03:08 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the welcomes. I think this site has pushed me over the deep end. Maybe. In following the various links about, I ended up at techdealdigger.com, which was advertising the Vostro. I had already been to Dell many times, have looked the outlet over thoroughly, and just had configured and saved a Vostro. Heck, I know it's ridiculous, but after seeing all the colors other minis came in, plain black just didn't appeal. But then I ended up on techdealdiggers hot laptop deals page

Cheap Laptop Computer Deals from TechDealDigger.com | Cheap Laptops

and the deal on the Mini 9 offered a few weeks ago was listed, having been entered 10 days ago. It was for Ubuntu, 4GB SSD and $199. I followed the link and it brought me to the configuration page...there is not a choice of operating systems, but there is of colors, and for an additional $40 I could choose red, $5 which goes to charity. There is the opportunity to upgrade to 16 GB SSD...

My thought was that after the first attempt to configure or use the page, it would be redirected to a "not in use" page, but that did not happen. I chose red, agonized over the SSD, but after some research decided to stay at 4GB and get 32 GB ($119) or 64GB (a little over $200) to install. I have the Windows XP disk from the old Compaq desktop hand-me-down I used between Dell desktops which I will attempt to install. I wish I knew how to get all the crap off of it before it installs.

So....I have a confirmed order e-mail for a red Dell Mini to arrive around Oct 5. I also ordered a Logitech V220 ruby red mouse. That was 29 bucks. The Mini 9 came in at $269, the only upgrades being the red color (a whopping $40), bluetooth, and upgrading the webcam.

It did NOT include free shipping however, that only applies to laptops that cost $699 or more.

So....I'm feeing pretty good, but am just waiting for the shoe to drop, when a human actually looks at this order and says ...."we don't have those anymore!!"
  (#5) Old
Guru

Default 09-19-2009, 03:19 AM

I hope your order ships quickly. I considered red, but my cheapskate nature steered me to the cheaper black.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#6) Old

Default 09-20-2009, 12:38 AM

Well i was selling mine for $200ish http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/sale...-mini-9-a.html good luck'
  (#7) Old

Default So far, so good..... - 09-22-2009, 11:31 PM

My cheap and extravagant angels had a long animated conversation throughout the process. I followed the links in the auto confirmation e-mail I got, and it says the Mini-9 is in process and the mouse has been shipped! I'd better get the damn thing...a red mouse isn't going to be much use to me if I have to go in another direction. Well, I could use it, but why be mis-matched????
  (#8) Old

Default 09-25-2009, 02:13 PM

Hey Sunfish!
I just got my mini9 in the mail two days ago and I'm very glad that I didn't go with the larger 10v. I actually was able to go with the $199 deal (+bluetooth and webcam), but be warned that you may have to call them to move things along a little faster (as in to stay on time). I've gotta say that I would have loved a runcore, but a supertalent that's only 7-8mb/s slower for much cheaper (16GB for $45 shipped-check slickdeals.net for when a deal pops up), I just couldn't justify the cost.

Then grab a few 8gb sandisk extreme III for about $13 a card (again, check slickdeals.net) and you're set.

I hope you'll enjoy your new toy/tool!
  (#9) Old

Default 09-25-2009, 07:03 PM

I got a notice that it had shipped, and FedEx tracking said they picked it up yesterday in Nashville, so I'm thinking Monday, maybe. I'm confident enough now to price out SSD drives and memory now and actually order them too. Not too confident about installing them, maybe I can impose on a more tech-inclined nephew, but then I don't want to wait either, and one does always have to wait on family! (god knows they wait for me often enough!)
  (#10) Old

Default 09-26-2009, 06:55 AM

Btw, if you're interested here's a deal for a 32gb ssd (the fast of the two models 40/80) for the mini9 for $93.55 shipped.
Super Talent 32GB MLC Half Mini 2 PCIe SSD for Dell Mini 9 & 12 $93.55 + Free S/H - SlickDeals.net Forums

Tags
discontinued, mini 9

« Getting Rid of Bloatware | mini10v XP preinstalled, dualboot DELL ubuntu, FAT32 data partition. help? »