Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default 09-26-2009, 01:06 PM

Hi-
You took the plunge, hope it what you want is still their and you get it on time. I placed my order for a mini the day after Thanksgiving 2008. I went black with Ubuntu as I could get that OS on a larger SSD that I could XP. The order was cancelled by Dell because they couldn't deliver it by the stated date. So after the new year I place an order again. The price of colors came down to $20, so I went with the red. This time I went with XP because I wasn't confident, I good get Linux versions of some of the applications I use a lot for amateur radio. I ordered the wifi card, but now I wished I'd ordered the blue tooth as well. I can't recall how much I spent I probably spent too much for additional warranty period, and the the "oh crap" insurance, oh well. At that time they shipped with MS Works installed, that was the first to go. After that I used Windows' ad or remove programs(found in control panel) to hunt down the other stuff I would never need. A new larger SSD sounds nice, but that taking my investment in the mini to the point it's a bad investment for me. I'm going to pick up a 2 or 4 GB SD card to put Ubuntu's netbook version on and set the mine so I can either start Ubuntu or Windows. I can use Ubuntu most of the time, thus saving wear and tear on the SSD drive. I will be memory to upgrade to 2 GB before too long.
  (#12) Old

Default 09-27-2009, 02:22 PM

I'd also like to get a DellMini 9...do you know if Dell US ships to Europe too?
In the european site there aren't the same offers like in the US...

Looking for a real "mini"...the 9!
  (#13) Old
Administrator

Default 09-27-2009, 03:55 PM

Dell US does not ship to Europe. But check out the For Sale section in this forum.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#14) Old

Default 09-27-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Dell US does not ship to Europe. But check out the For Sale section in this forum.
Yes, I did check and also insert a searching message.
Thanks a lot!
Unfortunately Dell does not give the same opportunity to EU and US...

(#15) Old

Default 09-29-2009, 07:12 AM

In the EU Dell sites it is impossible to find a Mini 9.
Why there' such difference between EU and US?
What a pity...

(#16) Old

Default 09-29-2009, 09:25 PM

The Mini 9 disappeared completely from the Dell website some time ago. Then an offer came out a few months ago which I did not respond to immediately, and when I did, I was sent to a page that said the page did not exist. This deal I got doesn't appear anywhere on the public website, and I think the offer was supposed to be expired. It's odd. For all we (you) know, there could be a hidden Mini 9 page somewhere on the EU page. This one sure was, it didn't show up in any search. You need someone with superb search/hack skills to find out.

I feel for you.

On another note: After being home (and alert) all day Monday, waiting for my Mini (I missed it on Saturday!!) I called about 6 p.m. only to find Fed Ex ground doesn't deliver on Mondays, because they work on Saturdays. (When did that happen? Fed Ex must deliver to businesses, etc. on Mondays.) And then I somehow missed it again today (Tuesday!!!) So if I miss it again I'll have to drive halfway to Iowa to get it at the Fed Ex holding area. (I live in Chicago, IL. This part is mostly aimed at US residents, I don't expect EU folks to know the intricacies of midwest geography, I sure don't know yours!)
  (#17) Old
Administrator

Default 09-29-2009, 11:18 PM

Sunfish. your Mini was shipped by FedEx Home, which delivers Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. This is a separate service from regular FedEx (and also different from FedEx Ground.)

Steve
  (#18) Old

Send a message via Skype™ to gregsim
Default 09-29-2009, 11:36 PM

I have a Dell Mini 9 with 2 GB Ram, which came with ubuntu installed. I love it! It performs as well as my MacBook. I installed a LAMP server and am developing a Drupal web site on it and studying php coding. I can do all that online.

I believe that Dell is being bullied by Microsoft into offering only crippled Linux machines. I considered getting a Mini 10 to get a bigger keyboard, but may get it from zareason.com so I can get 2GB RAM.
  (#19) Old

Default 09-30-2009, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Sunfish. your Mini was shipped by FedEx Home, which delivers Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. This is a separate service from regular FedEx (and also different from FedEx Ground.)
THURSDAY???? Geez, thanks for telling me. The Fed Ex tag says nothing!!! (I had better call. If anyone even answers the phone???)
  (#20) Old
Administrator

Default 09-30-2009, 10:50 AM

They may deliver more frequently now - initially it was just those three days. Have you looked it up on the FedEx web site?

Steve

Tags
discontinued, mini 9

« Getting Rid of Bloatware | mini10v XP preinstalled, dualboot DELL ubuntu, FAT32 data partition. help? »