Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Memory usuage unfound and not able to identified - 12-01-2008, 12:55 PM

I owned one set of Mini 9, with SSD of 8G storage. Im happy with the new set and its performance. Somehow i doubt about the memory usage that shown in the property.

Viewing the graphical pie chart in My Computer property, it shows:-
Total 7.11 GB
Used 5.22 GB
Free 1.89 GB.

However, by going into C:\ drive, I selected all the folders and files, including Windows and Programs and hidden files. and check on the property. It show differently from graphical pie chart. As below:-
Size: 3.95 GB
Size on disk: 2.87 GB

I dont understand what 3.95 or 2.87 difference, All i think is that even with 3.95 GB, I should have at least 3.5 GB balance. Yet it only show 1.89 GB. Question is where is that approx 1.5 GB goes to?

Pls advice.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Memory usuage unfound and not able to identified - 12-01-2008, 04:10 PM

disable page file, virtual memory, and restore.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Memory usuage unfound and not able to identified - 12-01-2008, 05:26 PM

does .not have much changes.. I have uploaded print screen,. I hope able to explain better. pls advice .. Could it be MRB thing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg memory SSD.jpg (149.6 KB, 34 views)
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Memory usuage unfound and not able to identified - 12-02-2008, 01:04 AM

THe things I indicated would require a restart to notice. They should be of significant size.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Memory usuage unfound and not able to identified - 12-02-2008, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicThree
don't forget hibernation, and maybe it even has something to do with the recycle bin files.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Memory usuage unfound and not able to identified - 12-02-2008, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt151B
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicThree
don't forget hibernation, and maybe it even has something to do with the recycle bin files.
ah yes!

download and run ccleaner.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Memory usuage unfound and not able to identified - 12-02-2008, 03:33 AM

Hi Medic and Matt,
Thks for the reply.
THe screen shot is captured after compete shutdown and turn on. Not much significant change.
Recycle bin has been emptied, as well.

Hibernation and ccleaner is new to me, will google and test it out..
thks,
roller
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Memory usuage unfound and not able to identified - 12-02-2008, 04:43 AM

How much ram do you have? Hibernation is the last tab in the power settings menu (I think). It allows you to write all the stuff in ram onto the HDD and go into a low power state with a fast resume. However, that requires space on the HDD to write the stuff in ram.

If you have 1 GB RAM and hibernate enabled then windows will report one less free GB of HDD space. However, I bet when you select all in the c: and search for file sizes that the 1 GB is not included in that total. Turn it on an off and see what happens.

FWIW, I keep my hibernate, restore and page file ON. I wouldn't worry about it unless you really need the space for otherstuff. In that case, the easiest way to get it back is to turn off hibernation, which isn't too bad since this thing boots up very quickly.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Memory usuage unfound and not able to identified - 12-02-2008, 03:39 PM

You could check and compare with the awesome WinDirStat.

Cheers.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Memory usuage unfound and not able to identified - 12-02-2008, 06:01 PM

The two methods of checking available disk space actually do very different operations.

The first one in the disk property go read into the file system structure to find out which sector is marked as used, and which is marked as empty. That's the most accurate method.

When looking at the file properties, Windows is enumerating the folders and files one by one and adding up the sizes. This is not accurate because it will not count files that the current user does not have the rights to see, files hidden according to the user preferences, and space used by the file system itself. This method will also get fooled by some file system features like hardlinks and reparse points, etc...

Djof | "Je me souviens"
Black Mini 1012 with OCZ Onyx SSD and HD, Red Mini 9

« Built in mike? | Mini 9 UK Delivery Delays? »