Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Ok Do I really need one. - 12-01-2008, 05:19 AM

Trying to see if this is a purchase I should make. I have a desktop but was wanting something so I could sit on the porch or in another room and still be able to get online. Just seeing if everyone is glad they made the purchase
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Ok Do I really need one. - 12-01-2008, 05:35 AM

Second night with mine. So far very happy for the $$. I curently have many computers. Wanted a lightweight for travel. So far, just what the doc ordered. Mine is stock, so far, I do want to get it running a little faster. Planning on bumping to 2gig as it seems to be a cheap upgrade. Around $30. Why not? I was surprised how much room 16gig actually is. loaded everything I wanted to on the machine and only used half the drive. remember, this is not a laptop replacement,so your not going to fill it with everything youd run on a full size.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Ok Do I really need one. - 12-01-2008, 05:39 AM

I really dont use my computer for anything but internet and Itunes. So I am not a gamer or use large programs
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Ok Do I really need one. - 12-01-2008, 11:40 PM

Well, its relatively cheap, but if you think $299 or $399 is a lot of money, you probably shouldn't buy it.

The obvious things you'll have to live with--the small screen and the small keyboard. If you are physically big, or older and maybe have carpel tunnel, then the keyboard is probably not recommended. If you are smaller and don't have issues like that, then you'll probably adjust. If you're just using it for surfing, you may not be typing that much.

The screen is fine. The biggest issue for me with internet surfing is the vertical resolution, of 600 pixels. Means a LOT of scrolling. Whether this is sufficiently irritating to you I can't say ahead of time. Will kind of depend on what kind of stuff you read on the internet and what your habits are. But the screen is a SMALL window onto the internet to browse from on web pages in 2008. And the lack of two finger scrolling is strongly felt. May be less of an issue if you use a mouse with a scroll wheel rather than the trackpad.

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Ok Do I really need one. - 12-05-2008, 05:42 PM

Well after reading in this forum I decided I did really need one. I ordered from the outlet and got a previously ordered new system with 1gb ram, 16gb ssd, and bluetooth the system came out with the 20% discount code for $327. I recieved the unit this morning 10 minutes before I was supposed to go to work and I was just able to get it set up. Seems that the computer had a webcam as well which was nice and it was not on the spec sheet. Dying to get home and delete some of the crapware though.

« What does the battery app even do? | Wont Boot »