Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Thinking of Buying an Ubuntu Dell Mini 10v - 09-16-2009, 02:01 PM

I checked out Dell.ca and when I try to configure for 2GB,DDR2,800MHZ,1 DIMM I get a Compatibility Instructions

Errors:

The selection - Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950 is incompatible with Memory

I can't seem to find anything on Dell to explain this. Could someone help? Why would more memory cause a problem? Can it be fixed?

Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
Shawn
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 09-16-2009, 02:12 PM

When in doubt, assume Dell's site is borked.

You might have to call or chat with a salesperson, if the site won't let you order what you want.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 09-16-2009, 02:24 PM

If the site is borked, then why would a salesperson be more reliable? I've talked with salespeople before and they just parrot what they've been told (which is normally just what's on the site). I'd rather talk with a technican, someone who really knows why.

Shawn
  (#4) Old

Default 09-16-2009, 02:39 PM

Wow it looks like Dell.ca is messing with their mini 10v page because they no longer offer the 10v with XP.. and they also removed the N280 from the possible cpu (because it was only available with XP)

All that was there yesterday... I'm guessing they are updating the page..

I just hope they won't start offering the linux one with N280 or lower their prices.. I ordered yesterday!

Waiting for my Dell Mini 10v
  (#5) Old

Default 09-16-2009, 05:28 PM

Well, now I'm seriously thinking of not buying Dell. Their customer service really sucks.

I started on Learn about Dell's laptops, desktops, monitors, printers, computer electronics & accessories. and started to configure the Dell Mini 10v Ubuntu. Since it said the 2GB RAM was incompatible with the graphic controller, I tried to send an email asking why.

First, complaint: there is no "Contact Us" link on the page. An email form can be found after many clicks and detours. Apparently they don't like talking to customers.

Second complaint: the form I end up on insists that my address has an American state in it. Since I started on Dell Canada, this is somewhat of a surprise.

So, I can't help but wonder what their prices are in, Canadian dollars or American. In my country, this is called bait & switch and constitutes fraud.

So, given all that, I don't think I'll be buying Dell.

Shawn
  (#6) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 09-16-2009, 05:48 PM

I don't know what you're looking at. Every page I drilled down to had "Contact Us" links near the top of the page. When I got to the configuration page, there are two big blue links for either live chat or "click to talk".

Getting an iPad

Tags
2gb memory upgrade, gma950, mini 10v, ubuntu

« Removing MSN Gaming | Firefox full screen in Mini 10v? »