Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Installing software - 09-15-2009, 02:34 PM

My mini 10v arrives tomorrow. Two different 'experts' have told me that I don't need an external optical drive to load additional software on to it but that I can copy from my CDs to a USB stick and hence to the mini. I thought software was copy protected so that you couldn't do this? Obviously I'd rather not buy an external drive if I don't have to, on the other hand I'll be hacked off if I can't put software on the mini when it arrives cos I really, really want to play with it.

And if I do need one what sort should I get - there's a huge variation in price!
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 09-15-2009, 03:00 PM

This all depends on what software you are trying to install. You should be able to find alternative methods to install any software, if you try hard enough and have the means to do so

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default 09-15-2009, 03:02 PM

Most software will allow you to copy the CD contents to a USB stick and install from that. Some, particularly games, may not. I haven't encountered any software that I use that has a problem with this.

I would recommend either the LG or Samsung external drives. They're $65 and $55 from Newegg. Whatever drive you get, make sure it includes a separate cord for supplying power should the USB connection not provide enough. Usually this separate cord plugs into a second USB port, or a AC-USB power adapter.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old

Default 09-15-2009, 03:57 PM

Thanks, that's really helpful. I've got USB sticks and an external hard drive.

I was thinking of installing MS Office, (an old version of) Photoshop and a couple of other quirky things like Abbey FineReader. Don't do gaming except online Tetris when depressed!

I think the mini comes with MS Works ready installed; I've got Works on my home desktop but use Word, Powerpoint and Access at work and for myself so just bought MS Office to use at home as well. I'll be using the netbook for my own stuff but plan to use it for work as well as I'm fed up of lugging a great brick of a laptop round with me.
  (#5) Old

Default 09-15-2009, 05:50 PM

You can definitely install MS Office from a thumb drive. I've done it several times. I haven't attempted to install any of the other programs on your list, though.
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default Lucky - 09-15-2009, 06:09 PM

I guess I am lucky, I just put what ever CD/DVD into my server, connect wirelessly thru the network to the E: drive(CD/DVD) and do an install and it installs on the Mini 10....no problems....

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#7) Old

Default 09-16-2009, 06:06 PM

Lucky indeed. I'm going to change my screen name to Unlucky or something that indicates I am about to burst into tears. Mini 10v arrived this morning and I have spent hours and hours trying to get it to connect to the internet. All the other pcs in the house connect fine but will the mini? Not on your life. I've put it to WZC which works for about a minute and then the swear word thing just drops out because it can't get an IP address. Why is it doing this to me? I've promised to be good to it, to love and cherish it ...
  (#8) Old
Administrator

Default 09-16-2009, 06:19 PM

1. You are mis-entering the wireless security key
2. You have MAC address filtering on your router and forgot to add the 10v's wireless MAC to the list

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#9) Old

Default 09-16-2009, 08:07 PM

I think I've checked the WPA key at least 20 times, and the router doesn't have mac filtering. All the other pcs work - but they have b g cards; the router sees the new mini. The mini thinks it can't connect to the router. The only difference I can think of is that it has a n card instead of b g. Or that the card is faulty. I wish I knew whether it's a Dell problem or a router one. I bet it's something really stupid.
  (#10) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 09-16-2009, 08:12 PM

Why are we having this discussion about network issues/wireless problems in a thread about Installing Software??

Either take Holmes4's advice, do some searching on your own, or create a new thread if you cannot find any information to help you after you have searched for a while.

Please stay on-topic! Thread hijacking is not nice

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides

« Pressing the accept button to agree to adobe reader license agreement | A New Dell Mini 10v User. »