Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Mini 9 connection to Vista / Norton network - 11-29-2008, 12:39 PM

Hi

I recently bought a mini 9 running Windows XP and I want to connect it to my home network so that I can map drives etc. The existing network is WiFi based and consists of 3 Vista PC's running Nortons 360 AV, although the mini 9 connects over the network to a BT broadband hub it can't file share or even ping other network nodes.

The existing nodes share files and printers OK can someone suggest what the problem may be please.

I've already removed the McAfee fiewall.

Thanks - John
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Mini 9 connection to Vista / Norton network - 11-29-2008, 12:55 PM

First, your best bet would be to get rid of 360. If you're not willing to do that, begin with turning off the firewall within 360 on the vista based machines. Also, make sure your mini is on the same workgroup as the other pc's. If you have a router, see if you can ping the router.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Mini 9 connection to Vista / Norton network - 11-29-2008, 04:42 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions, it seems that "Workgroup" is the default workgroup name for Vista and "Mshome" is the default for XP, disk partitions and CD now being shared OK.

Regards - John
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Mini 9 connection to Vista / Norton network - 11-29-2008, 06:43 PM

My opinion is that Norton 360 is great and I recommend it to friends and family as well as running it on some of my systems. As noted, you have to get the workgroup names in sync. If you do have N360 on a Mini, though, turn off the disk optimization feature.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Mini 9 connection to Vista / Norton network - 11-29-2008, 10:28 PM

OP - glad I could help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
My opinion is that Norton 360 is great and I recommend it to friends and family as well as running it on some of my systems. As noted, you have to get the workgroup names in sync. If you do have N360 on a Mini, though, turn off the disk optimization feature.
As far as 360 goes, how is it great? The definitions are updated much slower than other AV products, the firewall is absolutely terrible, and with the 1000 different modules it loads it slows your pc to a crawl. I've even see it to where it completely blocks internet traffic and disables network devices completely. Sure, it may be OK to someone who knows what to turn off and how to use it, but to the average person and even to most advanced users its an awful AV solution.
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Mini 9 connection to Vista / Norton network - 11-29-2008, 11:07 PM

I don't recognize anything from your description in Norton 360. The definitions update quickly - I think it checks every few hours. (The Norton 2009 products have a "pulse update" feature which is even quicker - I assume the next Norton 360 will pick this up.) It is very light on resources and fast. The firewall is the best in the industry according to numerous magazine reviewers. I also like that it includes defragmentation, disk error checking, simple backup and registry checking. Best of all, it is unobtrusive and easy to deal with, especially useful for non-technical users. It's a simple, one product solution that meets most users' needs.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Mini 9 connection to Vista / Norton network - 11-29-2008, 11:45 PM

hmm. we must be talking about different N360's. :roll:

Being a PC tech i have to deal with N360 on a daily basis and me and my fellow employees cringe when we see it, offer the customer a different AV solution (NOD32 most of the time) and we have never had a complaint, only thanks after they take it home and can actually use the computer without it being like a 486/66. I would probably shoot the person if i saw it on someones netbook.

« Installing vLited Vista on a Mini9 | Lost my programs under Entertainment Icon »