Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Pre-DeCrap Question - 09-10-2009, 04:05 AM

Hi

My new Dell mini 10 is sitting in front of me all new and shining and the battery is charging. First few minutes of our hopefully happy relationship!

I have no computer modifying skills and weary of attempting to remove known and unknown crapware but keen to do so before using the little mini.

Did I read about PC Decrapifier here on this site ?
http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/download

My mini 10 won't be connected to the internet for a few months so am not sure if I can use PC Decrapifier by transferring it into the mini 10.

I'm happy to sit at the computer and remove crapware one by one but wonder if that isn't the best thing to do. (I could use the list of crapware on PC Decrapifier as a reference) Is this an OK option though?

Thanks for any advice.

Ian

~~~~~~\o/~~~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~
  (#2) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 09-10-2009, 04:20 AM

Looking at the list of what that software removes, it would be faster to just remove it manually using Add/Remove Programs.

Seriously, Dell doesn't ship much additional software on the Minis. Normally the first thing I do is a clean install of whatever OS, but the wife's Mini 9 came with very little additional software.

Getting an iPad
  (#3) Old

Default 09-10-2009, 04:28 AM

Manually uninstalling crap would probably be the best way. But no internet on a netbook? *Brain Pain*JK. I use my mini for retro gaming, media playing and web browsing so I guess there are many uses for a netbook other than net surfing.

Dell Mini Inspiron 910 32GB RunCore SSD, 2GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate
Dell Inspiron 1720 2x 1TB HDD, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate
https://www.facebook.com/pinto.ismael
http://gplus.to/ismaelpinto
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 09-10-2009, 12:55 PM

I would actually recommend CCleaner... this little app has "Add/Remove" programs, cleaning of temp files, registry cleaning, etc.

I like the Add/Remove programs in CCleaner better because it doesn't seem to take forever to populate the list of applications on the machine!

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 09-10-2009, 01:07 PM

My own experience is that I avoid all "cleaner" type programs, as they inevitably cause more harm than good. As Wolfkeeper says, the Minis have very little "crap" on them and what there is you can remove using the standard methods.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old

Default 09-10-2009, 01:08 PM

go to majorgeeks.com on the right you'll see 'top freeware' in a list.
-find install;
ccleaner
revo uninstaller
win patrol

learn to use them.
use revo to uninstall anything you know you dont need or want, use deep search and back up, delete stuff it finds.

run ccleaner, leave its settings stock till you get used to it

restart computer, run computers disk cleaner and delete all backups except one, its in the tab behind the results that pop up.

win patrol is great freeware and gives you lots of info.

i personally keep pcdecrap but run it rarely, sometimes it finds things that i missed and dont need in my startup or else where, probably not the best uninstaller for trying to save space such as on our little netbooks.

there are other great cleaners in majorgeeks as well

i like comodo cleaner -requires some experience, mru blaster, atf cleaner, regseeker - carefull with this one, and recently like wipe - careful with this one. all of these are searchable to find in the search bar.

also somone on this great sight told me about nhc, notebook hardware control, google it if you want it....great little program.

there are others, but this outta keep ya busy.

i do have to agree with holmes, if you dont know what your doing you can cause yourself more harm then good....but then on the other hand, theres only one way to learn.
  (#7) Old

Default 09-13-2009, 02:19 PM

As soon as I receive them, every machine I buy gets wiped and reloaded with only the programs I want. (I wish it were easier to buy just the hardware with a blank hard drive.) It is true that the Mini does not have all the normal bloatware that Dell, and others, insist on putting on the machines.
  (#8) Old

Default 09-13-2009, 07:45 PM

The only thing that i had on my mini 10v was the msn thingy that i got rid of. No serious crapware.

Yay me for my Dell mini 10v. 120gb.

« Which one Dell UK 9 or 10? Most Snow Leopard Compatible. | Hey im new to this and the whole "netbook Craze" »