Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default OS Options/Expandable Memory? WHAT?! - 09-07-2009, 04:43 PM

I figured my title would be more catchy rather than "New noob here!"

Anyways, just ordered a 10v with the 6-cell battery. I looked at the 10 for $450 and 40gb more HD space, and 2GB ram didn't seem worth the extra cash, especially when I can just upgrade the RAM.

I've been lurking around this forum the past week and I've come up with some quick questiosn to ask.

~What benefit is there to using Windows 7 Rather than XP? Also doesn't the 7 license run out shortly?

~OSX seems to be pretty popular, however for web page editing that I'm used too doing in IE, would it be similar in Safari? Also, the last time I read an article on using OSX, there seemed to be issues as far as the touchpad was concerned, is this fixed?

~I'm pretty good with taking electronics apart, however I am concerned about plastic bits in the Mini that may snap while getting to the RAM. Is this something to be concerned about or is it pretty rugged inside?

Overall I'll just be using my Mini for web browsing, typing articles and possibly using 3Ds Max to create low-polygon objects while I'm on the go. (3Ds Max always worked well on older laptops especially with less-detailed objects in the scene, the last laptop I used 3Ds Max on was in comparasin, nearly half the speed.

I definately look forward to getting this machine. I have a really nice home computer with a 22 inch wide lcd, and I can't really take it on the go to write articles. My 17 inch HP dvwhatever laptop is too big to bring around, so I just wanted something smaller, like lugging around a big book rather than a big metal suitcase :P

EDIT: Also not sure why Dell says I'll receive my Mini on/after the 22nd. Considering I ordered this last week that seems a bit long...
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 09-07-2009, 05:12 PM

If you are comfortable with Windows, stay with Windows. OS X has lots of fans and of course you are free to experiment, but there's no particular advantage to running OS X unless you have a mind to do so.

Windows 7 will be released October 22. Many of us have earlier access to the retail version (I am an MSDN subscriber), so there's lots of people using it. Yes, the Release Candidate license is temporary and will start top bug you in March. Most people find that the Mini 9/10v runs nicer in Win7 than XP, but XP is ok too.

Changing memory in the 10v is complex and yes, you could break something if you're not careful, but if you follow instructions well you should be able to do it. Increasing RAM is the cheapest performance booster I know of.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 09-07-2009, 09:37 PM

Anyone else have Dell say their Mini would arrive nearly 20 days after purchase? If you got it earlier, about how much earlier? I don't have tracking infromation yet so i was just curious.
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-07-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Anyone else have Dell say their Mini would arrive nearly 20 days after purchase? If you got it earlier, about how much earlier? I don't have tracking infromation yet so i was just curious.
Hi Ryan,

It doesn't seem to be that uncommon!

There is a whole thread about it, which you can find at: 20 days to get my mini??? ... and which you might find answers your question!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#5) Old

Default 09-07-2009, 10:56 PM

That's a scary topic, indeed.

When I ordered my 22 inch lcd from Dell the estimated time was 15-20 days, and I remember getting it in only 7 days in which was nice.
  (#6) Old

Default 09-09-2009, 01:09 AM

I just upgraded my RAM in my mini 10v. I have an XPS laptop and took one of the sticks out of there and put it in here. It was MUCH easier than I had thought. Took me all of 30 minutes being extra careful. Nothing was really hard at all. I used a youtube video which had close footage of what to do. It was called something like Upgrading mini 10v disassemble..

Mine was supposed to ship the 22nd of this month and I got it on the 2nd of this month so...

Vostro 200MT - XPS M1530 - Mini 10v - e1505
  (#7) Old

Default 09-09-2009, 04:45 AM

When did you purchase it?

« New member from New Jersey | Any guide for step-by-step Ubuntu install on Mini 10 with XP/7 ? »