Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Cool New to the whole "netbook" thing - 09-06-2009, 11:57 PM

Hey gang,

My name is Matt, I'm a college student and I thought I was pretty tech savvy... until I got my Vostro a90. Here are some questions I have, if you can help me out, that would be much appreciated!

-The speakers are very out of balance. I called Dell since I thought the right stereo one was blown, when it turns out that it is just significantly quieter than the left when the balance is centered. The problem got better when I installed WinXP, but it is still a distraction. Should I send it back even though I know now the speaker works? Any way to rectify this?

-So I installed TinyXP 09 and for some weird reason I cannot enable stand by or hibernation modes anywhere. I looked in power management settings and have been trying to get into the BIOS. So, how should I go about fixing this, and how do I access the BIOS?

Thanks guys, I look forward to becoming a part of the community!
  (#2) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 09-07-2009, 12:03 AM

TinyXP was designed for desktops and gaming, so it's quite possible the components for power settings were stripped out. I read the same thing on a car computer site, after some users complained about not being able to sleep or hibernate.

The BIOS is accessed by pressing 2 on the Dell screen shortly after the A90 is turned on.

Getting an iPad
  (#3) Old

Default 09-07-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper View Post
TinyXP was designed for desktops and gaming, so it's quite possible the components for power settings were stripped out. I read the same thing on a car computer site, after some users complained about not being able to sleep or hibernate.

The BIOS is accessed by pressing 2 on the Dell screen shortly after the A90 is turned on.
Good point. I was just fooling around with it until I installed OSX. Thanks for the BIOS answer too!
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 09-07-2009, 12:40 AM

The speakers are not normally out of balance.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Default 09-07-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
The speakers are not normally out of balance.
I figured. There isn't a problem when you use the line out, but I don't know if it is worth it to send the thing all the way back to the depot in TN... guess I can live with it.

« changing solid state drive | Aw... come on - SD card does not go all the way in ?? »