Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Some Varying Beginner 10v Questions.. - 09-03-2009, 12:31 PM

Hi all and I'm welcoming myself to the forum

I have some questions that I'd very much like your help on. I've taken delivery of my 10v with the 160gb HD and Ubuntu installed. It's my first time using Linux and I actually quite like it. So now I'd like to know..

1) Can you recommend a good slip case for the 10v? I don't plan on getting the 6 cell battery yet, and I'm looking for something that's more of a protective cover than actual case. Something low cost, waterproof, light, slim and quick to drop the 10v in and out of.

2) What's the concensus with upgrading from Heron? Is it worth it yet? The reason I ask is I want to use the trackpad drivers that have been developed but they don't seem to be available for Heron, only the later releases of Ubuntu. (Saying that, I can't figure out how to install the bloody things anyway, that particular part of using Linux is very confusing).

3) I don't have bluetooth on my machine and would like to use the internet on the move, occassionally. I have free data with my mobile/cell phone provider, is there a way of taking advantage of this?

4) Annoyingly, my keyboard has sans serif keys except for the letter I. Does anyone else have this, and can it be replaced?

5) If I decide not to keep Linux then I'll go for a Leopard/Win 7 dual boot. Where can I find a recommended way of partitioning the hard drive? And presumably it's best to wipe the machine clean first, then install one OS before the other? I have a 16gb USB stick and an XP desktop to assist my install.

Thank you very much and I hope these questions aren't tedious at all - I like my 10v very, very much.

All the best to you,

schnide
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-03-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnide View Post
1) Can you recommend a good slip case for the 10v? I don't plan on getting the 6 cell battery yet, and I'm looking for something that's more of a protective cover than actual case. Something low cost, waterproof, light, slim and quick to drop the 10v in and out of.

2) What's the concensus with upgrading from Heron? Is it worth it yet? The reason I ask is I want to use the trackpad drivers that have been developed but they don't seem to be available for Heron, only the later releases of Ubuntu. (Saying that, I can't figure out how to install the bloody things anyway, that particular part of using Linux is very confusing).

3) I don't have bluetooth on my machine and would like to use the internet on the move, occassionally. I have free data with my mobile/cell phone provider, is there a way of taking advantage of this?

4) Annoyingly, my keyboard has sans serif keys except for the letter I. Does anyone else have this, and can it be replaced?

5) If I decide not to keep Linux then I'll go for a Leopard/Win 7 dual boot. Where can I find a recommended way of partitioning the hard drive? And presumably it's best to wipe the machine clean first, then install one OS before the other? I have a 16gb USB stick and an XP desktop to assist my install.
1) I don't know if he has one, and they don't qualify as cheap, but psyopper makes damn good cases. I don't know if he can do a waterproof option, or if he can, how much it would cost.

2) I'm useless to answer that one.

3) You'll need to research tethering based on your phone, and assuming it can connect to the computer via USB.

4) I'm useless to answer that one.

5) You'll want to read, read, and read some more. OS X | mechdrew is the best resource right now for how to do it.

Welcome to 10v ownership!

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#3) Old

Default 09-03-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguish View Post
1) I don't know if he has one, and they don't qualify as cheap, but psyopper makes damn good cases. I don't know if he can do a waterproof option, or if he can, how much it would cost.

2) I'm useless to answer that one.

3) You'll need to research tethering based on your phone, and assuming it can connect to the computer via USB.

4) I'm useless to answer that one.

5) You'll want to read, read, and read some more. OS X | mechdrew is the best resource right now for how to do it.

Welcome to 10v ownership!
Thanks anguish - I've seen your dual boot guide on YouTube and would love to follow it, but is there a list of what you need for that from the outset? That's what putting me off following it.

Also, I have a Nokia N85 which I'm assuming can connect to the laptop as it's pretty recent and a smartphone.

But most importantly, why are you useless to answer whether your v10 has a serif letter I when the rest are san serif?

Thanks again for your reply, Lee
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 09-03-2009, 03:08 PM

You will have to check your phone's documentation to see if it supports USB tethering - some do, some don't. There is usually software required to be installed on the PC to enable this. Also, free data does not necessarily mean tethering, as most carriers charge extra to enable tethering.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« hey everyone.... | changing wireless card »