Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default 09-06-2009, 06:06 AM

It's probably just what they think they can get away with - people not knowing much about them might think it's actually a good deal, when in fact it's mostly just pure profit for Sandisk and Amazon.

I bought an M2 USB reader from eBay the other week, it cost £2.00 delivered, brand new. Can't go wrong for that sort of money!

dell mini 9 - 8gb ssd - 2gb ram - mac os x 10.5.6
  (#12) Old

Default 09-06-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellicious_Leopard View Post
Thanks holmes4... I was puzzled only because the SanDisk version costs like $35 on Amazon, so their was a huge price discrepancy.

Amazon.com: Sandisk MicroMate Reader - for SD and SDHC memory cards: Electronics

One that I think looks pretty cool is the Elago nano... their sure aren't many reviews for them though, and I can't tell what is the difference between the EL-RD-012 and the EL-RD-011 ?!

ELAGO Nano Mobile Micro SD Reader-World Smallest (EL-RD-012,Black) | elago

ELAGO Nano Mobile Micro SD Reader-World Smallest (EL-RD-011,Black) | elago

Anybody have experience with these little cuties?
i got my card reader as a freebiie when i bought an sdhc card off ebay. I dont even think it was advertised. just if youre buying some cardsoff ebay, ask for a card reader.

they probably cost about 20 cents to manufacture, so anyone who pays $30 isnt very smart.

also, dont worry abiut going with a no-name card reader. theyre all the same.

Dell Vostro A90
16gb ssd
2gb RAM
BT+ .3 webcam
Windows 7 Ultimate Final
32gb sdhc card (Oh Yeah!)
Logitech VX nano
  (#13) Old

Default Class 2 vs class 4 microSDHC for Mac OSX booting? and How? - 09-06-2009, 07:13 AM

Thanks much for the tips folks! especially about the pricing and potential for a free one on ebay...

My intent would be to do the same thing as the OP... Boot the Mac OSX from the microSDHC in a USB reader.

With this in mind, does anyone know if the "class 4" speed would be required? Or will a "class 2" speed be sufficient to run all the functions of Mac OSX with no hiccups or speed issues?

If this has been addressed on another forum post somewhere here, please let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen-cil View Post
I have a memory stick that goes into the card slot in the Dell Mini 9, can i use this to boot windows up or mac os x? And how? Thanks
Also, I didn't see the second half of Pen-cil's question answered here: i.e. How would one boot from a microSDHC card in a USB reader?

If I understand this correctly, I would be able to have my Mini9 installed with Ubuntu (for example), but could alternatively boot up Mac OSX whenever I desired just by inserting the OSX preloaded card+reader.

Am I understanding the concept right? And if so, where can I find the thread that details the method to carry this out? I have searched the Mac OSX forums here but can't find this specific topic addressed... although I am surely just missing it?!

Edit: I found this thread kinda deep in the search...

Running OSX from a USB Stick/SD Card

... but it is older and shy on the details. Also their is one for SnowLeopard, but I have Amazon's OSX 10.5.6, not SnowLeopard.

Any updated or more detailed threads available? I didnt want to start a thread of its own asking where another thread might be.
  (#14) Old

Default 09-06-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriantannerisb View Post
i got my card reader as a freebiie when i bought an sdhc card off ebay. I dont even think it was advertised. just if youre buying some cardsoff ebay, ask for a card reader.

they probably cost about 20 cents to manufacture, so anyone who pays $30 isnt very smart.

also, dont worry abiut going with a no-name card reader. theyre all the same.
When I bought my 16Gb MicroSDHC Sandisk they stopped shipping a full size SD adapator in with it, SanDisk always used to with microSD cards. I enquired as to why and was told it was to "cut costs", but there was no commensurate reduction in the price of the card!

dell mini 9 - 8gb ssd - 2gb ram - mac os x 10.5.6
  (#15) Old
Administrator

Default 09-06-2009, 09:24 AM

The SanDisk reader Amazon has is for "normal" SD and SDHC cards, not MicroSD. Yeah, it has Micro in the name but.. It's also three years old.

The only difference I can spot between the two ELAGO readers is that the 02 slides the card in from the outside and has no eject button but does have a loop for a lanyard, while the 01 slides it in from the plug end and has an eject button. If you're looking for a semi-permanent install, the 01 seems the better bet.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#16) Old

Default So cheap, I'll try them both and report back... - 09-06-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
The SanDisk reader Amazon has is for "normal" SD and SDHC cards, not MicroSD. Yeah, it has Micro in the name but.. It's also three years old.

The only difference I can spot between the two ELAGO readers is that the 02 slides the card in from the outside and has no eject button but does have a loop for a lanyard, while the 01 slides it in from the plug end and has an eject button. If you're looking for a semi-permanent install, the 01 seems the better bet.
Cool! Another night owl like me, eh? Thanks for the advice... It did seem as if the SanDisk one was really oversized for a "micro" reader relative to the other products I been checking out. More like a mega-micro version.

I ended up getting the 011 and the 012 versions, as they are so cheap... I will just have to sip a few less beers this week to cover the cost of both. I can use the one I don't end up using on the Mini9 for a 17inch HP Laptop I use instead of a desktop.

Once they arrive, I will post back as to their performance and aesthetics.

Would you know a handy link to information that would let me know how to perform both Read and Write speed tests on the reader? Then I can give some real stats on the performance. I didn't have much luck with Google searching... it seems hard to separate the performance of the reader from the speeds inherent in the card itself.

PS... I hate to say it, but I actually also purchased the one in linked to in holmes4 Post (post #2; DealExtreme). For $3.99 and free shipping I couldn't resist!! (Free shipping yes, but I have ordered a case from them for mini9 before and it took forever)

To justify the carbon footprint of the DealExtreme purchase, I fleshed the order out with another cheapo goodie that was too much to resist, given my job in agricultural research:

Its only use will likely be getting Ag-babes attention, but still worth the $0.78 nonetheless!
  (#17) Old
Administrator

Default 09-06-2009, 12:35 PM

Not a night-owl, just up early.

You can't separately test the reader and the card, just the combination of the two.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« 10V hardware question | changing solid state drive »