Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default When swapping out hard drives - how to read info off old one? - 08-28-2009, 04:25 PM

Hello =)

I'm about to upgrade my HD in my Dell Mini 10. I have a lot of videos, etc saved that I'd like to transfer over to the new HD. How do I make it so that I can copy the content from the old HD with the OS to the new one? Is this possible? I have a portable case I can throw it into. It's about 100 gigs so a USB flash drive transfer wouldn't work (in a reasonable amount of time anyway).

Thanks!

Toshiba Satellite M645-S40408 | Fusion Finish | 500 gb | 6gb | Core i5-460M | NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M | Win 7
HP Mini 311 | Black | 500 gb | 2gb | Atom 270 | NVIDIA ION | Win 7
Dell Mini 1010 | Obsidian Black | 160gb | 1gb | Atom z520 | Win XP
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 08-28-2009, 04:39 PM

There are many many many different ways to do this depending on what sort of supplies you have at your disposal :

1. Use the supplies you have on hand! You mentioned you had an external enclosure, so assuming it will accommodate your 2.5" Mini 10 HDD then you are all set.

2. Backup all important files to a NAS

3. Attach your new drive using the USB enclosure you have and image it using Norton Ghost (or some imaging application). This will make a direct image of your current setup

I could go on with multiple different ways to backup and transfer data, but I think you get the idea...

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#3) Old

Default 08-28-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcclure937 View Post
There are many many many different ways to do this depending on what sort of supplies you have at your disposal :

1. Use the supplies you have on hand! You mentioned you had an external enclosure, so assuming it will accommodate your 2.5" Mini 10 HDD then you are all set.

2. Backup all important files to a NAS

3. Attach your new drive using the USB enclosure you have and image it using Norton Ghost (or some imaging application). This will make a direct image of your current setup

I could go on with multiple different ways to backup and transfer data, but I think you get the idea...
Thanks so much! Sounds like a direct image would be the easiest. It seemed to simple to just copy the data over. I figured since it had an OS and was my main drive it might not be formatted like an external usb drive - making it impossible to just copy data over. Wanted to check if there were any steps I needed to take before rashly ripping it out of the mini and throwing the big one in =)

Toshiba Satellite M645-S40408 | Fusion Finish | 500 gb | 6gb | Core i5-460M | NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M | Win 7
HP Mini 311 | Black | 500 gb | 2gb | Atom 270 | NVIDIA ION | Win 7
Dell Mini 1010 | Obsidian Black | 160gb | 1gb | Atom z520 | Win XP
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 08-28-2009, 07:26 PM

If you choose to go this route just make sure that you image the correct drive when you are doing a disk-to-disk image!!

You do not want to end up copying the blank drive onto your current system drive and lose everything! It will be easy to choose the correct "Destination" and "Source" drive because it will show the disk size (in bytes). You will obviously want to choose the larger disk as the destination.

Once the imaging process has completed I would attempt booting from your USB harddrive (which is your new drive in the external enclosure). If it boots successfully and all of your settings are intact then proceed with swapping your new 500Gb drive with your old system drive. (then you can use that one for backups or whatever!)

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides

« Need quick advice on DELAYED Dell machines please. | Question about the Mini10 my school is selling »