Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Talking Classis question(9 vs 10 vs 10V) - 08-27-2009, 01:50 AM

I've been doing my homework and here's the deal:
Gave my Vostro 1500 to my brother for college.

My computer needs right now are web browsing; email/typing; Photoshop CS1; watching movies, burning CDs/DVDs on my external lightscribe; old games like counter strike 1.6-really basic stuff I have done on 50mhz machines.

Must be able to run XP, have bluetooth(for my mouse). I don't want to spend alot, because when I go back to school myself in teh spring I will have saved up $1,200 for a real computer

Which video card is better for gaming/solidworks? 950 or 500?

Mini9:
Pros:

Tiny
Giant battery pack(10hrs runtime!)
Intel 950
Solid state driveEasy 2GB ram upgrade
Cheap
Cons:
Keyboard(I have hams for hands)
Small HD(Expensive big HD)
Tiny screen(pixel wise)

Mini10:
Pros:

Bigger keyboard
Big SATA HD
HD screen option
Cons:
1GB ram cap
No super battery
Cost of HD screen

Mini10v:
Pros:

Bigger keyboard
Big SATA HD
2GB ram option
Cons:
Cost compared to mini92GB ram upgrade is a PITA(But I feel qualified-I have built computers before)
No super battery

Now all I need is someone with big hands to tell me that the 10V is worth it, and that the HD screen isn't all that grand.
Also, I prefer the look and feel of a clean OS like Windows 2000 instead of the "oooh its purdy" Vista/7
  (#2) Old

Default 08-27-2009, 06:14 PM

I have a 10v that I upgraded to 2gb of ram as soon as I got it in the mail. The performance is pretty nice, both in windows and OSX, especially for the system. I can't say anything about photoshop as I haven't tried it on my mini, but I guess it should be OK as long as you're not doing anything incredibly complex. The resolution probably won't help at all though.

Gaming should be fine, all I've really done with mine as far as gaming is concerned is play WoW and some SNES emulator games. No hitches in either.

From what I've read, the 950 is better for gaming purposes.

As for hands, well I wear a large in most motorcycle gloves(if you ride) and I have to admit that the keyboard for the Mini 10v is pretty nice.
  (#3) Old

Default 08-27-2009, 07:17 PM

Actually, I do ride-Added the current deathtrap to my sig-and I wear XXL Shift Barrier gloves(The ones with the huge knuckle protectors).

I've done some more reading and I'm pretty much set on a 10v, If I can snag one with BlueTooth/N280/6-cell battery

I went so far as to scale and print out pictures of the 9's keyboard and the 10v's keyboard to get a feel for things. Needless to say, I'm sold on the 10v

Computer-1737 Core2Duo 2.1ghz/2MB|4GB DDR2|2x500GB SATA|512MB ATI|BT370|b/g/n|
Tempted by an A90 every day....
Ride-1990 600cc Ninja. 80hp/400lbs
  (#4) Old

Default 08-27-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpler=better View Post
Actually, I do ride-Added the current deathtrap to my sig-and I wear XXL Shift Barrier gloves(The ones with the huge knuckle protectors).

I've done some more reading and I'm pretty much set on a 10v, If I can snag one with BlueTooth/N280/6-cell battery

I went so far as to scale and print out pictures of the 9's keyboard and the 10v's keyboard to get a feel for things. Needless to say, I'm sold on the 10v
Good stuff, glad to hear you're going for the 10v. I think it's well worth it. Awesome that you ride as well, haha. I ride an '04 R6. I usually wear an old set of Spidi Penta gloves in large. Those Shift gloves are really nice, though.
  (#5) Old

Default 08-27-2009, 11:45 PM

The gloves are well worth the $45
A buddy of dumped his bike, and he swears that the carbon fiber knuckles saved his hands

Computer-1737 Core2Duo 2.1ghz/2MB|4GB DDR2|2x500GB SATA|512MB ATI|BT370|b/g/n|
Tempted by an A90 every day....
Ride-1990 600cc Ninja. 80hp/400lbs

« Ubunto Recovery Disk? | Dell Mini 10 Screen and touch pad problems »