Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Fedora 11 on Dell 1010 - 08-26-2009, 01:12 AM

Hi all I am new to this forum and have just purchased my dell mini 10 with hd display and tv tuner. .

Was wondering how easy it was to install fedora 11 on the mini 10 and if anyone had any guides/advice for me. I am relatively new to linux and have tried it out on an aspire one but ended up selling it as I just couldn't get used to it.

I want to make my system dual boot so that I can have windows compatibility with programs and fedora to try a new operating system (my cousin has it on her NC10 and she swears by it so I thought I should give it a shot).

I tried to look through and search the forums first as well as google but I couldn't really find anything that was n00b friendly so I was wondering if anyone could break it down for me.

Grateful for any help and thanks in advance.
  (#2) Old

Default 08-26-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by law3164 View Post
Hi all I am new to this forum and have just purchased my dell mini 10 with hd display and tv tuner. .

Was wondering how easy it was to install fedora 11 on the mini 10 and if anyone had any guides/advice for me. I am relatively new to linux and have tried it out on an aspire one but ended up selling it as I just couldn't get used to it.

I want to make my system dual boot so that I can have windows compatibility with programs and fedora to try a new operating system (my cousin has it on her NC10 and she swears by it so I thought I should give it a shot).

I tried to look through and search the forums first as well as google but I couldn't really find anything that was n00b friendly so I was wondering if anyone could break it down for me.

Grateful for any help and thanks in advance.
I wish I could give you better news; but while Fedora 11 will run on the 1010; but that is about it. It only gives you 800X600 screen resolution; it does not recognize the wifi card in the 1010 and it runs pretty slow as there is no driver for the chip set in the 1010. ON the good side; sound works fine, the battery status software works well and many other things. However without wifi or better than 800X600 (vesa) resolution it does not make a good system to do much with.
Now I have read on the Fedora forum that they had worked out drivers for the GMA 500 chip set; but after reading what they had to do to get it too work it is way out of most peoples league.
You can get Ubuntu 9.04 and Ubuntu 8.04 to work with the 1010. 8.04 is what Dell puts on the Linux 1010's. But trying to get a copy of it is a exercise in futility. 9.04 works but you have to install special drivers to get it to perform correctly. There is a guide on the forum that goes though step by step to get it up and running. This is what I use on my 1010; along with duel booting with XP. The only problem is every time you get upgrades to the kernel it crashes the special drivers. Several good guys on the fourm usually have a fix to get it up and going again; but to be honest it's a pain in the rear end as it happens every time you upgrade the kernel. The good thing is grub keeps a copy of the old kernel so you can still boot up the old one and keep running. Right now I have kernel 11, 13, 14, and 15; plus XP in the grub boot loader on my system. XP and 13 work; the others do not.
Not a pretty picture; but its the facts. Good luck with your efforts. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#3) Old

Default 08-27-2009, 02:02 AM

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate the time and effort you took to help me out. So basically, if I understand what you posted correctly, that Fedora will work but that it is plagued with too many problems to be able to install correctly with everything working. I also understand that Ubuntu, which I know Dell ships with its netbooks, also doesn't quite work as well as it should and that when updates are released, they basically are unusable since they tend to crash the system and I'd have to wait till somone found a workaround for it.

Interesting...I would have thought that with the power that the 1010 has, it would be able to load most linux based OS's, guess I was wrong...

Anything other than Ubuntu/Fedora that anyone can get running with very little problems and can update?

It may sound impossible but my cousin really got me into trying linux and I was excited to try Fedora but with the problems you mentioned I might just be stuck with windows xp.

Thanks again for your reply, you really helped me out there.
  (#4) Old

Default 08-27-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by law3164 View Post
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate the time and effort you took to help me out. So basically, if I understand what you posted correctly, that Fedora will work but that it is plagued with too many problems to be able to install correctly with everything working. I also understand that Ubuntu, which I know Dell ships with its netbooks, also doesn't quite work as well as it should and that when updates are released, they basically are unusable since they tend to crash the system and I'd have to wait till somone found a workaround for it.

Interesting...I would have thought that with the power that the 1010 has, it would be able to load most linux based OS's, guess I was wrong...

Anything other than Ubuntu/Fedora that anyone can get running with very little problems and can update?

It may sound impossible but my cousin really got me into trying linux and I was excited to try Fedora but with the problems you mentioned I might just be stuck with windows xp.

Thanks again for your reply, you really helped me out there.
Ubuntu will run pretty well without any mods; but only with 800X600 screen resolution. But everything works just fine (except flash and video playback). You can install it to a USB flash drive and it runs just fine. XP is great on it especially with the new 1012 GMA 500 driver. Video and flash play very well and XP has drivers that work great with the 1010. Its like the 1010 was made for XP not linux.
From what I have read Win 7 also has good drivers for the 1010. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64

« [ask] the different in dell mini 10 | Ubunto Recovery Disk? »