Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Super Moderator

Default New 10v - with Ubuntu - on the way! - 08-24-2009, 04:38 PM

Hi,

My first post on here, but it looks like a very helpful forum, and just the thing for someone like me who has ordered their first Dell Netbook yesterday - a Mini 10v with Ubuntu, a 16Gb solid state hard drive (yes, I know I could have got a 'mechanical' one for the same price!), a 1510 wireless card... and a red lid!

Dell had a 3 day £20 off (I'm in the U.K.) sale on over the weekend, and they have quoted me a delivery date of 9th September (12 working days), which I didn't think was too bad, so I ended up paying £248 exactly, including delivery!

Although I know my way around Windows very well, this will be my first experience of Linux, so I think I will stick with the default offering initially, although I shall be installing Skype fairly quickly... hopefully this is a fairly easy procedure?

Not quite sure what to be about anti-virus software though... is any 'trial' program installed as standard, or if not what do others recommend please?

Also, are there any software updates I should be looking at doing, once I receive my new Mini, or anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks for your time!
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 08-24-2009, 04:59 PM

There are not generally anti-virus programs for Linux, though you should be sure to enable a firewall. Open the Ubuntu help and there's a topic on keeping safe. Also, Ubuntu has its own updating mechanism which you can use.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-24-2009, 05:26 PM

Thanks for that Steve.

I know that it's a bit soon for me to be posting hints on here, but I have recently 'discovered' a Dell Ububtu support area at Dell Ubuntu Support - Ubuntu Forums which other users might find of interest.

If you don't allow such links, I am sure that one of the Mods will quickly remove it, but folks like me need all the help they can get!
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 08-24-2009, 06:30 PM

Nothing wrong with your link that I can see, and I am a mod.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Default 08-27-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montala View Post
Hi,

My first post on here, but it looks like a very helpful forum, and just the thing for someone like me who has ordered their first Dell Netbook yesterday - a Mini 10v with Ubuntu, a 16Gb solid state hard drive (yes, I know I could have got a 'mechanical' one for the same price!), a 1510 wireless card... and a red lid!

Dell had a 3 day £20 off (I'm in the U.K.) sale on over the weekend, and they have quoted me a delivery date of 9th September (12 working days), which I didn't think was too bad, so I ended up paying £248 exactly, including delivery!

Although I know my way around Windows very well, this will be my first experience of Linux, so I think I will stick with the default offering initially, although I shall be installing Skype fairly quickly... hopefully this is a fairly easy procedure?

Not quite sure what to be about anti-virus software though... is any 'trial' program installed as standard, or if not what do others recommend please?

Also, are there any software updates I should be looking at doing, once I receive my new Mini, or anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks for your time!
I got my 10v in the same deal, but I got one with a 6 cell battery, 8GB SSD (to be upgraded), the 1510 card and the Product (RED) back cover, all for £253. My one is coming on the 9th as well. I wonder how much it costs for Dell to actually produce and ship them...

The Ubuntu version that Dell ship with the 10v is over a year and 4 months old (8.04 LTS), so it does not have some of the newer features that come in 9.04. Ubuntu Netbook Remix is quite good for netbooks, since it is optimised for the Intel Atom and is suited to WSVGA (1024*600) screens. If you want to experiment with Linux, then there are some other distributions which are good, like LinuxMint (based on Ubuntu, but with more Windows-like UI). If experimental Linux is for you then Jolicloud (invite only) and Moblin (made by Intel originally, public Alpha with almost weekly releases) are designed for netbooks, but are still very much incomplete.
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-28-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkProvanP View Post
The Ubuntu version that Dell ship with the 10v is over a year and 4 months old (8.04 LTS), so it does not have some of the newer features that come in 9.04. Ubuntu Netbook Remix is quite good for netbooks, since it is optimised for the Intel Atom and is suited to WSVGA (1024*600) screens. If you want to experiment with Linux, then there are some other distributions which are good, like LinuxMint (based on Ubuntu, but with more Windows-like UI). If experimental Linux is for you then Jolicloud (invite only) and Moblin (made by Intel originally, public Alpha with almost weekly releases) are designed for netbooks, but are still very much incomplete.
From what I have read here, and elsewhere, most users who have 'upgraded' or changed to a later version of Ubuntu seem to having problems with the webcam and/or the microphone.

As I intend to use Skype on mine, these are the sort of things I want to try and avoid, so my first thoughts are to stick with the supplied version for the time being, in the hope that Dell will issue an new 'official' version before too long.

It does look as if the next release of Ubuntu, due at the end of October, might well solve these problems anyway. In the meantime the Netbook Remix version you mentioned seems to be updated on an almost daily basis!

« Mini 10v? Worth it to..... | Need quick advice on DELAYED Dell machines please. »