Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Mini 10v high capacity battery - 08-23-2009, 04:13 PM

I've been looking at the 6-cell 56W/Hr battery to replace the 24W/Hr that came with my 10v

(hello to all by the way, I've owned a 10v for 3 days now!)

Is the battery physically larger than the 24W one? I would imagine it is. By how much though. I don't care if it's heavier, just if it's massively physically fatter/wider/longer.

I remember when I got an extended battery for an eeePC 701, that thing was nearly bigger than the laptop and I don't want that.

Is the 56 the almost double run time that I'd expect from the almost double capacity?

Any third party options I should be looking at?

Wish the RAM upgrade wasn't such a hamburger to do.

Cheers all!
  (#2) Old

Default 08-23-2009, 08:30 PM

The 6 cell battery doubles the size of the battery pack. Unfortunately, it doubles the height, so it sticks out very badly from the bottom.

There are many posts on the subject of the 6 cell battery (same for 10 and 10v), like this one:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...l-battery.html
  (#3) Old

Default 08-24-2009, 05:31 AM

Drat, that's what I was afraid of, thanks.

Won't fit the neoprene case I got with the Mini if I get one of those.

Ho-hum.
  (#4) Old

Default 11-02-2009, 06:45 PM

I am having very serious issues with my extended battery. It won't actually "click" into place. It's as if the small holes on each side that the locks slide into are misaligned slightly.

This is for a battery ordered from Dell.

Anyone else seen this?
  (#5) Old

Default 11-03-2009, 01:19 AM

As I've seen in other threads, I had to literally carve down the holes with an craft knife to make it work. That sucks pretty hard, in my book. But, I suppose, it works now. Over six hours off one battery is worth it.
  (#6) Old

Default 11-03-2009, 01:53 PM

I believe (based on a cob-web-filled brain ) the batteries for the 10 and 10v are oh, so slightly different in size, requiring the carving if you order the wrong one.
  (#7) Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-03-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I am having very serious issues with my extended battery. It won't actually "click" into place. It's as if the small holes on each side that the locks slide into are misaligned slightly.

This is for a battery ordered from Dell.

Anyone else seen this?
I don't know how long you have had your 'new' battery, but I received one from from Dell with that sort of problem, I would be returning it to them pretty quickly!

Not trying to be funny here, but are you sure that the part you actually ordered, and indeed that the one they sent you, was definately for the 10v, rather than for the 10, as it does appear that they are very slightly different.

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#8) Old

Default 11-04-2009, 01:41 AM

I did return it. Dell was less than helpful regarding availability for a 10v battery. I had bought one (for a third of the full price) off eBay and carved it up to get it to fit. So far, so good. But still sort of annoyed by it.
  (#9) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 11-04-2009, 11:18 PM

I personally like the fact that the 6 cell raises the mini, it helps to cool the underneath nicely and if you add a targus chill pad under it, its like the Mini 10 has its own air conditioner...I really love mine, as far as the case goes, I use a targus sport case, the mini fits great even with the larger battery, it has room for the chill pad, cables, power supply, usb flash, sd cards, and even the owners books from the Mini 10, it only weighs about 5 lbs total, compared to my 10lb HP 17" laptop with all kinds of extras bring it to about 15lbs, 5lbs is like carrying around an 6 pack and a an extra pack of smokes..

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#10) Old

Default 12-15-2011, 11:20 PM

Sorry to conduct thread necromancy, but im having the same problem regarding my replacement (3 cell battery) not clipping in.

To those of you who carved the holes, how much/what method did you use? Standard stanley knife and scrape a square hole best you could?

Thanks

Dell Mini10v | White | 160GB | BIOS: A06 | Mac OS X 10.6.7

« Sideways screen on inspiron mini 10???? | Help! - XP Install Hits Partition Error »