Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Just got my 10v! Any tips? - 08-22-2009, 05:35 AM

I just got my 10v today. Love it so far. I am running xp on it and plan on keeping it that way. When I first turn it on it keeps telling me the resolution is low or something but when I click fix it, it doesn't do anything. Also I have heard people talk about trimming down xp to make it run better/faster. Whats that all about. I would appreciate any other help and/or opinions, except for ones telling me to use a different OS. Thanks!
  (#2) Old

Default 08-22-2009, 09:27 AM

trimming down xp requires nLite and is used to take up less space on the hard drive, and most of the time its only good for SSD's (solid state drives) since they do not have much space, also, i recommend downloading the newest graphics driver from the dell driver site.

also you can try to perform a 2 gb ram upgrade, helps a lot, and not to be annoying or anything, you can always try windows 7, pretty ^^

Alienware M15x|Black|BT|GT 240m|Intel i5|Windows 7 64-bit|
  (#3) Old

Default 08-22-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDKwutName View Post
trimming down xp requires nLite and is used to take up less space on the hard drive, and most of the time its only good for SSD's (solid state drives) since they do not have much space, also, i recommend downloading the newest graphics driver from the dell driver site.

also you can try to perform a 2 gb ram upgrade, helps a lot, and not to be annoying or anything, you can always try windows 7, pretty ^^
Cool. Thanks. Should I just do the automatic driver download from the website? Actually windows 7 is an option. It's free right? Where can I get it from?

Anybody know anything about the resolution? I have tried changing it but it wont let me.
  (#4) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to BigDaddy
Default 08-22-2009, 09:26 PM

Hi tkollman8,

This is my fist post and I'm new to the world of netbook (Dell Mini) but I read a lot as well as I'm a computer enthusiast.

You may want to look into reducing/changing the windows DPI Settings to make the icons smaller.

Visti this link and this should help you.
Change DPI Settings in Windows XP

Good luck and enjoy the Mini (I still awaiting on mine )

BigDaddy
  (#5) Old

Default 08-22-2009, 11:50 PM

(Optional) It's a little time consuming but if you don't mind DL-ing a ready made NLITED version of XP Pro, I can point you to a good link. Just PM me and I'll send you the link. All you have to do is get the dell mini10 drivers using the service tag code(underside of your dell) from dell support page. It works great and it cuts down the original XP footprint. A nice boost in performance.

(A Must4Gamers) Pick up a $15 Logitec gamepad. The minis work great for old school gaming emulation (atari,nes,sega,snes,genesis,n64,psx,mame,and others) I store and run my games off of an 8GB SDHC card. The minis are great portable Classic Gaming Machines XD

(Very nice) I use WinAmp Media Player's ShoutCast feature to stream internet radio.(Literally 2000+ stations to choose from) I use Orb to stream all my media from my home computer to my mini anywhere there is an internet connection.(at home, starbucks, friends house, the library, etc.)

There are various ways to enjoy your mini. Have fun.

Dell Mini Inspiron 910 32GB RunCore SSD, 2GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate
Dell Inspiron 1720 2x 1TB HDD, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate
https://www.facebook.com/pinto.ismael
http://gplus.to/ismaelpinto
  (#6) Old

Default 08-23-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkollman88 View Post
Cool. Thanks. Should I just do the automatic driver download from the website? Actually windows 7 is an option. It's free right? Where can I get it from?

Anybody know anything about the resolution? I have tried changing it but it wont let me.
i dont know if the windows 7 rc is still available on the microsoft website but you can check

about the resolution, if u right click on the desktop and click graphics options it will open the intel graphics menu and somewhere in there should be resolution

Alienware M15x|Black|BT|GT 240m|Intel i5|Windows 7 64-bit|
  (#7) Old

Default 08-24-2009, 02:53 PM

nLite could do the job for you pretty well, but be sure to follow a decent guide on using it. There are also some consequences in using it that certain patches don't apply well since it basically guts a good chunk of things out of the system. By and large though, it should be okay. More RAM would definitely make it faster like IDKwutName said. I would have also said for you to try out the Windows 7 RC for free, but sadly the time has passed. Windows 7 has already been released to numerous groups (MSDN, TechNet Plus, Microsoft Partners, etc), but the street date on it is October 22nd. If you want to get the final version ahead of that time to use that instead, you can always sign up for TechNet Plus. It gives you more than just OS downloads and legal keys, there are a lot of applications and such too. I personally consider it pretty good bang for the buck. You can sign up for it over at TechNet Plus Subscriptions: TechNet subscribers get TechNet Plus downloads and product keys, support, and more | Subscribe to TechNet Plus Subscriptions | Get Windows 7 Beta Now

« Intro | Before we order a couple of new Mini's! (Yes, more than one) »