Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Ordered my Mini10 ... then i cancelled - 08-21-2009, 12:28 PM

Hi there,

Well ordered my mini 10 on 18th Aug from Dell.co.uk, quiet happy and waited for the paperwork to go through. It then occurred to me- did the mini 10 have the sim card socket fitted as standard? ( I already had a dell 5520 card to use). Then the problems began!!

Why do big companies insist on outsourcing to India (apart from cost)- I have spent 2 days pulling out my hair just to get an answer from the "helpdesk", being passed from one person to the next. If it isn't on their script they are stumped. In the end, i have cancelled my order with Dell as I am not prepared to deal with a company that has no UK number to deal with and with people i can't understand or understand me- don't get me wrong, it's not the guys in India's fault, just maybe a lack of training in customer service skills....

I still want a Mini 10 (or 10v)- which model should i go for? I am not fussed on Mac'ing it but do maybe fancy pimping it up a bit over time...

I have had a good look through this site and it rocks!! - love hacking things and definately settled on the Dell as a netbook... Just need to get past the "Dell India" hurdle!!
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 08-21-2009, 12:48 PM

What exactly do you want? If it's a model that will accept your 5520 card, then as far as I know, the only way to guarantee that is to buy one that comes with its own WWAN card. The SIM holder is the least of your problems.

The 10 and 10v are quite different beasts with different tradeoffs. What is important to you?

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 08-21-2009, 12:56 PM

i was looking at the ability to add more ram (no go obviously in the 10), but generally what would people here recommend ? a 10 or a 10v?

Looking at possibly email on the move, bit of web browsing (either via 3g or via wi-fi hotspot), and maybe film playback when away on courses in hotel (asked if i could get tv tuner with 10v but sales advisor said no 10 or 10v comes with tv tuner!!)

you can see maybe why i got a little browned off with sales/customer service!!
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 08-21-2009, 04:03 PM

If you want to add RAM, then go for the 10v over the 10. The 10 has an HDMI output, the 10v does not. Both can play locally-stored videos just fine. You can buy USB TV tuners that will work with either - doesn't have to be from Dell.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Dell mini10 w/GPS question | BIOS Update... »