Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Before we order a couple of new Mini's! (Yes, more than one) - 08-20-2009, 05:37 PM

hey guys, Our family are looking into ordering two new Dell Mini 10v's... But we have a couple of questions, which you don't mind answering?

Now, As I've said in the title, We will be ordering more than one, so I want to make sure that these will reach my Dads and sisters needs, I've split them up into different sections..

My dad will be mainly using it to pay bills, check his emails, little bit of internet browsing and store his music collection which he will wirelessly send to our WAC7500, very basic stuff.I feel the Mini 10v will meet his needs, anyone see any problems?

My sister will use her Mini a little bit more than my Dad, for example she will be using Windows Live Messenger, Facebook and all them popular social sites, Playing flash games (Miniclip etc). Now I know WLM is a resource hog, should the Mini have any problems supporting it's needs?

Now, I've said to them both that waiting for Windows 7 to be released may be the best option, as it is the best thing for netbooks, as well as giving them a new interface(XP is old, dated and boring now) and being a 'lighter' OS, What is the likely hood of the Mini 10v having Windows 7 available within the few weeks of release?

If not, I've said what I could do is install W7RC on them and when it comes to July, get a proper copy of Windows 7..

Any help will be grateful. Many Thanks, Jack.

I have no Dell Mini :'(
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 08-20-2009, 06:44 PM

The 10v should be able to handle all of what you describe. As for Windows 7, I have no idea what Dell will do, but at the 10v's price point, they might put "Starter Edition" on it after some time, if they don't just discontinue the 10v entirely. The XP Home may be perfectly reasonable for your needs, though. Otherwise, look into the "Family Pack" upgrade. Keep in mind that the W7 upgrade will require a reinstall.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 08-20-2009, 07:03 PM

Last time I was looking at Minis configured with Windows there was something about "Windows 7 Upgrade Program" through Dell. I am not sure if anyone else knows what I am talking about, but since Windows 7 is right around the corner they were basically having some sort of promotion where you would get Windows 7 shipped to you when it came out.

Maybe I am mistaken, and maybe I was looking in the Dell Small Business section. Who knows, it was a few weeks back.

Sorry I could not be any more detailed or of any more help.

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#4) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 08-20-2009, 07:16 PM

Only systems currently shipping with Vista are eligible for Dell's free upgrade program.

Getting an iPad
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-20-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper View Post
Only systems currently shipping with Vista are eligible for Dell's free upgrade program.
hmm... told ya I had no clue what I was talking about... hahaha

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#6) Old

Default 08-20-2009, 09:12 PM

Ah cool, Brilliant thanks guys.

bmcclure937, I looked around on the Dell website and I couldn't it find anywhere either, then I read WolfKeeper's post, haha! :P

Holmes44, read an article of this Windows 7 family pack, although it was labeled as rumor. I didn't think they took it further. I will looking into the pack, am I right in thinking that it covers 3 computers?

Oh and I do have more question, What is the best Anti-Virus suite for a netbook, We currently have McAfee which will take up to much resources so I'm interested in getting a lighter one...

(#7) Old

Send a message via ICQ to jcoll81 Send a message via AIM to jcoll81 Send a message via Skype™ to jcoll81
Default 08-20-2009, 09:22 PM

Yeah the family pack is for 3 licenses.

Dell Mini 10v | 1gb | 120gb HDD | OSX 10.6.2

(#8) Old
Administrator

Default 08-20-2009, 11:08 PM

See Microsoft prices Windows 7 family pack | Beyond Binary - CNET News

As for AV, McAfee is one of the worst. I recommend Norton Internet Security 2009 - soon to be 2010. It's even available in a "netbook edition" on a USB flash drive.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#9) Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-21-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
See Microsoft prices Windows 7 family pack | Beyond Binary - CNET News

As for AV, McAfee is one of the worst. I recommend Norton Internet Security 2009 - soon to be 2010. It's even available in a "netbook edition" on a USB flash drive.
Personally, I recommend ESET NOD32 Antivirus

Has always been amazing for me... my favorite AV/Security Suite!!

(#10) Old

Default 08-21-2009, 02:13 PM

Yes now I understand McAfee is one of the worst, unfortunately it out the found the hard way.I'm finishing with them on the 21st October..and will be swapping.

I remember Norton being terrible and very sloppy, has this all changed then? ..and this NOD32 whats the footprint of that? resource hog?

« Just got my 10v! Any tips? | Inspiron v Vostro »