Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#21) Old

Default 08-24-2009, 06:53 PM

You can already get legal copies of Win 7 Professional. You need to join Welcome — Association for Computing Machinery ($19) and you can then download two license keys (x64 and x86). Both license keys will work on an x86 install, so you have two copies to use on Mini 10v's. Join again under a different name/email address and you would have 4 license keys for Win 7 Pro for $38. You can find all the details (read the Wiki) at Free MSDNAA Access for all IEEE Student Members - 275 Programs /inc Windows 7, Vista, and XP Pro - No Classes Needed - SlickDeals.net Forums Edit: I just checked and there are now 4 license keys available with the ACM deal for $19. x64 English x86 English x64 French x86 French A license key for the French version will work fine to install an English version, as long as the English version is Win 7 Pro. An x64 license key will work for an x86 install.
  (#22) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to BigDaddy
Default purchase - 08-24-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxner1 View Post
Norton Internet Security 2009 is excellent and has a tiny footprint. Installs in just a minute or two. The AV is very good but it also includes a good firewall (something missing from NOD32 and Avast). You can buy NIS 2009 licenses on eBay. I paid $14 for licenses for 3 computers for 2 years. All you get is the license, you then download the actual program from Symantec and use the license key during installation. Go to eBay and search on "norton internet security 2009". Limit it to "buy it now" and you should see several available in the $14 to $16 range. The sellers are mostly in China but don't sweat it. I've bought licenses twice and never had a problem registering them. They'll send you the license keys via email, usually within an hour or so after purchase.
I did purchase one of this license Saturday night and Sunday morning I was having the email, so far its been install on one of my machine but it those works very good. I used to hate Norton cuz slow down that computers way to much but this one looks very good so far.

BigDaddy - Ernesto
My anger management Class, Piss me off!

Dell Mini 10V | Product Red | Carbon Skin | Mac OS X 10.6.6 | 1gb RAM | 160 GB HD | 1.3MP camera | Bluetooth module
Future Upgrade/Mods: Dual Boot (Win 7 & Mac OS X) | Memory Upgrade 2gb RAM
  (#23) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 08-24-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxner1 View Post
Norton Internet Security 2009 is excellent and has a tiny footprint. Installs in just a minute or two. The AV is very good but it also includes a good firewall (something missing from NOD32 and Avast).

<cut>
Actually... as I previously stated, you can get ESET Smart Security (which includes a firewall)

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#24) Old

Default 08-24-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcclure937 View Post
Actually... as I previously stated, you can get ESET Smart Security (which includes a firewall)
Sorry, I wasn't trying to knock NOD32. In fact, I used it for several years and I still think it's excellent. I only went back to Norton when they got their act together with the 2009 edition and really put together an excellent package.

« Just got my 10v! Any tips? | Inspiron v Vostro »