Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Question OS X / XP Dual Boot - 08-12-2009, 08:03 PM

(This may not be the right section, so if not I will happily repost in the correct place.)

Right now I'm geting funds together to buy a Mini 10V, and have seen the very good guide and videos about dual boot OSX and Windows7. While I would like to do that, a work as a IT Engineer with mostly XP Machines and also I can't stretch to a Version of Win7 I would use (Ultimate) and buy a Mini.

So, is it possibile to do a OSX/XP dualboot, and if so any pointers, tips, guides, warnings,etc.

Thanks again
Applenet
Edinburgh, Scotland
  (#2) Old

Default 08-12-2009, 09:15 PM

yes do a search in the osx section for dual boot saga. i used my own variation of that method and it worked well. But the general idea of what needs to be done is there.
  (#3) Old

Default 08-13-2009, 09:57 PM

OK, since nobody giving any hints I'll put up a idea or two.

I was watching the Youtube video(for the guy whose name has escaped me) and noticed that his boot manager is Windows Boot manager. As this is only on Vista or Windows 7, this is a no go option (unless somebody suggests otherwise).

So, first of all I thought about using XP's own boot manager -

NTLDR

Wellfirstly, I can'tfind anyone that has done this, so this could be a learing curve. Or me messing with the boot.ini could have some problems.

So there's option two -

GRUB

Anyone familier with Linux should be used to this, and there is support out for it. Again, the people using it with OS X is limited so this may not work or be a bit complicated. And I'll need a seprate partision for it. SO this also has downsides.

SO, again and ideas, guides, tips or warnings would be appriciated

Thanks Again
Applenet
Edinburgh, Scotland
  (#4) Old

Default 08-13-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applenet View Post
OK, since nobody giving any hints I'll put up a idea or two.
I'll try to help as well...

It all depends on your hard drive partition table. If you plan to have OS X and XP working together, it has come to my attention that you need to format your drive as MBR. The reason is XP does not understand GUID partition tables. Also, I believe you must also modify the OS X installer on the OS X DVD. The reason is, it will allow you to hack the installer to force the install on MBR formatted drives.

In order to do this, follow this guide here from one of the members here:
Guide Advanced 3: Customizing the Mac OS X Installer | DellEFI | mechdrew

If you plan to use Vista/7 and OS X, you can format it as GUID (GPT) -- I went this route and I installed OS X using the Mac guide (with 1 usb key) and then I installed Windows 7 using a USB stick.

Lastly, you can install EasyBCD to control your operating system boot sequence.

PlayStation2 SCPH-30001 v4.0 / Seagate 250GB
PlayStation2 SCPH-39001N v7.0 / Seagate 320GB HDLoader 0.8c / Memory Card Exploit
(+[__]%) PSP-1001k 98500 5.00 M33-6 2, 8 & 32GB MSPD
XBOX 360 Arcade 20GB LiteOn iXtreme 1.6 & Activate.iso Xbox LIVE Status: OK
Macbook Pro 2.4 i5 8GB 320GB Mac OS X 10.6.6
Dell Mini 10v 1GB 160GB Mac OS X 10.6.6 & Windows 7 RTM
A physicist is just an atom's way of looking at itself. N. Bohr
  (#5) Old

Default 08-13-2009, 10:30 PM

Thanks again for helping, I think I'm getting it now (I install OS X first, then work out XP), but I have one problem with the last thing you said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienWarrior75 View Post
Lastly, you can install EasyBCD to control your operating system boot sequence.
Now it's my understanding (or misunderstanding) that EasyBDC only works on Windows Boot manager in Vista and Windows 7. Is this so?

(Also, I would love to run windows 7, but just can't at the moment)

Thanks again
Applenet
  (#6) Old

Default 08-13-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applenet View Post
Thanks again for helping, I think I'm getting it now (I install OS X first, then work out XP), but I have one problem with the last thing you said...

Now it's my understanding (or misunderstanding) that EasyBDC only works on Windows Boot manager in Vista and Windows 7. Is this so?

(Also, I would love to run windows 7, but just can't at the moment)

Thanks again
Applenet
Hi applenet, I don't protest to be an expert on EasyBCD, but believe me, it supports OS X. When I installed it on the Windows 7 side, I added Mac OS X as one of the bootable operating systems, and when I restarted the mini, I could choose Mac OS X or Windows 7 to boot. The active partition is Windows 7, and through EasyBCD it can boot the OS X partition.

Maybe one of the "Senior" members with more experience can provide some more insight.

PlayStation2 SCPH-30001 v4.0 / Seagate 250GB
PlayStation2 SCPH-39001N v7.0 / Seagate 320GB HDLoader 0.8c / Memory Card Exploit
(+[__]%) PSP-1001k 98500 5.00 M33-6 2, 8 & 32GB MSPD
XBOX 360 Arcade 20GB LiteOn iXtreme 1.6 & Activate.iso Xbox LIVE Status: OK
Macbook Pro 2.4 i5 8GB 320GB Mac OS X 10.6.6
Dell Mini 10v 1GB 160GB Mac OS X 10.6.6 & Windows 7 RTM
A physicist is just an atom's way of looking at itself. N. Bohr

Tags
dual boot, osx, win xp

« just ordered a dell mini 9 | Just ordered refurbed 10v - any advice/tips? »