Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Microsoft Office or OpenOffice ? - 08-07-2009, 12:49 PM

I have Mini 10 with 32GB SSD, and want to install one of Microsoft Office or OpenOffice for occasional excel / ppt work.

Can you guys share what you use ?

Forgot to mention that we use MS Office at work...
  (#2) Old

Default 08-07-2009, 07:57 PM

I highly recommend OOo. It has all the functionality of the (rather expensive) MS Office Suite, including the ability to read/write MS Office files (.doc, .ppt, .xls, etc)

Plus, since it's open source, it'll just get better.

Only word of caution, OOo doesn't really like .docx, etc files. But there are simple ways to get around that.
  (#3) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 08-07-2009, 08:18 PM

I have a Mini 9 with an SSD and Office 2007 runs great on it.

Getting an iPad
  (#4) Old

Send a message via MSN to nollie
Default 08-07-2009, 08:33 PM

I use OpenOffice as it does all I need and is a much smaller install for me.

Dell Mini 9 - 64GB Runcore - 2GB RAM - Windows 7 - 16GB SD - Jolicloud Beta
  (#5) Old

Default 08-07-2009, 09:10 PM

i use open office, work uses microsoft....
open works fine for me.
  (#6) Old

Default 08-08-2009, 06:52 AM

Thanks all. So does OpenOffice saved files open and save properly for using on MS Office ? and is the Powerpoint equivalent as good ?

Would I save on install space and the processor/mem usage with OOo ?
  (#7) Old

Default 08-08-2009, 03:07 PM

k000 - I find Open Office to be frustratingly laggy. Don't get me wrong--it is phenomenal for a free piece of software. But, free isn't always everything.

From Newegg.com or Tigerdirect.com you can get MS Office 2007 Home/Student which includes Word, Excel, PP, and OneNote for about $90 for 3 licenses. I was using OOo until I saw that deal--$30/computer is a no-brainer for me.

And as far as PP goes, I think the real deal is much better than the OOo version.

All that said, I totally get the appeal of free (& open source) software...

Edit: And on SSD space and processor usage, I would think space shouldn't be a problem for either. When I had a 16GB SSD I double booted Ubuntu & Vista/W7 and had plenty of space on the Win partition for Office. And in my opinion, MS Office is snappier. I even use my Mini for PP presentations including music and animations.

Jeff

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#8) Old

Default 08-08-2009, 11:01 PM

For people who are looking for an alternative to Microsoft Office I turn them PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB drives to try off a USB drive or just install it as is on their system. Most people are impressed and make the switch. The one problem is there is no replacement for power point. It still does beat the competition.
  (#9) Old

Default 08-09-2009, 05:32 AM

Thanks all... I will defi try OOo, but as my primary purpose would be to be able to work on docs from my office, which can be pretty complex excel sheets or ppts, I might have to return to MS office..

I am surprised to hear though that the MS Office is snappier than OOo
  (#10) Old

Default 08-10-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k000 View Post
...but as my primary purpose would be to be able to work on docs from my office, which can be pretty complex excel sheets or ppts...
Odds are, you wont be happy with Open Office. We looked at OO a while ago to replace MS Office and found that for even moderately complex Word, Excel and PPT it couldn't handle either formatting or formulas. Either couldn't handle or didn't handle in the same way. Not good if you are exchanging files with people using the Microsoft products.

« Just ordered refurbed 10v - any advice/tips? | Soon to be owner of a dell mini 910. What antivirus? »