Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default 08-10-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePA View Post
Odds are, you wont be happy with Open Office. We looked at OO a while ago to replace MS Office and found that for even moderately complex Word, Excel and PPT it couldn't handle either formatting or formulas. Either couldn't handle or didn't handle in the same way. Not good if you are exchanging files with people using the Microsoft products.
Which is really very funny if you think about it. Office 2007 defaults to saving in *.***x format (docx, xlsx, pptx., etc), an XML derivative that is called the OOXML (Open Office XML) - an open source document formatting system developed by Microsoft open to all vendors and intended to be platform neutral. When OOo implemented the specification it broke Office documents in OOo, but OOo documents written in the format worked perfectly in Office 2007.

Even funnier is that MS then started offering a option to support ODF (the original and rival formatting system to OOXML) in Office 2007 because OOXML broke backwards compatability within Office but ODF did not.

Have you guys even tried OOo 3.0 yet? Way better than the 2.7 stuff that's still seems to be randomly floating around out there and about twice as fast as it too.

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#12) Old

Default 08-10-2009, 04:10 AM

Thanks Mike. I will be loading up MS Office once I locate my external CD burner...
  (#13) Old

Thumbs up 08-12-2009, 01:58 AM

+1 for MS Office Home and Student Edition. Even for OneNote alone. The SmartArt and themes in Word/PowerPoint are worth it, as well. YMMV.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...983081033.aspx
  (#14) Old

Default 08-14-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopper View Post
Which is really very funny if you think about it. Office 2007 defaults to saving in *.***x format (docx, xlsx, pptx., etc), an XML derivative that is called the OOXML (Open Office XML)...

Have you guys even tried OOo 3.0 yet? Way better than the 2.7 stuff that's still seems to be randomly floating around out there and about twice as fast as it too.
Your post is irrelevant to what I posted. It's got nothing to do with file formats or speed. If OOo doesn't handle formulas the same way (or at all) as Excel does, it's worthless.
  (#15) Old

Default 08-14-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePA View Post
Your post is irrelevant to what I posted. It's got nothing to do with file formats or speed. If OOo doesn't handle formulas the same way (or at all) as Excel does, it's worthless.
Actually it does. If Excel can't write the formulas properly in it's own native "open standard" then the problem is not with OOo.

Does it resolve the problems you had? No, not really. But any document you generate in OOo and saved in either the ODF or OOXML (or Microsoft compatable .xls) will work just fine in Excel. Broken Excel forumlas were the very reason that the international standards community was up in arms over MS's pushing of the standard.

I brought it up more as a rhetorical. The whole thing is a very interesting read, with the knowledgeable techies pointing out the flaws and their own government membership ignoring them.

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#16) Old

Default 08-14-2009, 01:24 PM

Are there any formulas that work in MS Office correctly but fail in OOo ?

But the bottom line being that is corp world still is using MS office, then OOo fixing the formula is of no use until MS office also fixes ? Or we are bck to MS Offie as defacto tool...
  (#17) Old

Default 08-14-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k000 View Post
Are there any formulas that work in MS Office correctly but fail in OOo ?
Yes, there were formulas that worked in Excel but not OOo. Since I was not a member of the team that did the analysis, I do not have specifics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k000
But the bottom line being that is corp world still is using MS office, then OOo fixing the formula is of no use until MS office also fixes ? Or we are bck to MS Offie as defacto tool...
I agree, everything else is academic naval gazing. People wont put up with problems exchanging files with OOo users regardless of where the problem is. The fact the problem might be with Excel is irrelevant. People want to be able to freely exchange and work on Office files without having to jump through hoops, e.g., save in some common format. Such issues might not concern small shops but when you are dealing with 1,000s of users the conversion cost to a free or less expensive solution just got a lot more expensive.

« Just ordered refurbed 10v - any advice/tips? | Soon to be owner of a dell mini 910. What antivirus? »