Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Can dualbooting be done after OSX install? - 08-05-2009, 06:12 AM

Hi everyone,

Just joined the forums and I'm anxiously awaiting my Mini 9 to arrive and install OSX. However, coming from the PC world, I'm interested in Win7 as well.

Is it possible to install Win 7 (dualbooting) after installing OSX? Can I still partion the drive after having OSX installed? TIA!

Regards,
Mike
  (#2) Old

Default 08-06-2009, 12:12 PM

Hi Mike - Can't speak from experience as I'm awaiting mine as well, but I figured I'd chip this in...

This weekend, I did a test run of the performance of XBMC on my MacBook using the XBMC Live CD (not installer), and it ELIMINATED my OS X boot record. I probably could have fixed it, but I had just installed and decided to do another reinstall instead. I would be wary of trying it out - just take caution if you do as the install process isn't super easy to do. I'm not sure there would be a great way to do it after the fact without using Boot Camp, so just take that as advice.

Also, Leopard has Boot Camp, which is designed for using your Mac to dual boot windows, using the Mac's graphical boot loader. I don't know if this works on the 9 though. Boot camp can do on the fly partition changes, so don't worry about that, if of course you can use Boot Camp.
  (#3) Old

Default 08-07-2009, 03:21 AM

I tried using Boot Camp Assistant from my Mini 10v and it won't run, telling me I need to update my system's ROM firmware before I can use it.
  (#4) Old

Default 08-09-2009, 06:01 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I've decided to just leave my mini 9 as a OSX system. Perhaps I'll by another 9 for Windows 7. I still have my PC laptop.
  (#5) Old

Default 08-11-2009, 01:27 AM

I too, am awaiting my mini delivery. I have been trying to read everything I can on getting dual/triple boot configured (xp/7/osx) I think as long as you configure the drive properly before you install any of the os's you'll be OK, but i dont think you will want to/have an easy time installing OSX first, and then Windows 7/XP/Linux... i havent sorted it all out, but I think I want to keep Windows 7 bootloader, so i'll likely install 7, install osx, and then fix 7 bootloader (if it's broken) with the windows 7 dvd.

If i really cant figure it out, i will probably go the long route and install osx onto a usb drive, then image the drive over to the mini's specific partition and carry on from there.

« Soon to be Owner of a Dell mini 910 | Printer for Mini 10v? »