Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Dell programs - 11-23-2008, 08:18 PM

I got some great help on Nov22 with the memory upgrade information posted, my 2GB mod will arrive next week. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the great help. Now I need some more if you would be so kind.
Can anyone tell me which dell installed programs are not necessary , and are just taking up space and time on my hard drive. It may seem like a dumb question to some , after I know the answer it probably will to me also. I just don't want to do anything that may come back to haunt me in future.
your help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I could help a novice in the future when they ask me the same dumb question.
  (#2) Old

Send a message via AIM to onefish2
Default Re: Dell programs - 11-23-2008, 11:14 PM

Honestly, all of them. There is not one piece of software on the default XP home install that is worth keeping. And its a shame its that way. PC OEM's should put worthwhile software on their systems not the garbage software that is included. The software that is on there helps Dell line their pockets.

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 with Netbook Remix, 8GB SSD, 2GB RAM, 4GB SD, Bluetooth, 1.3 Webcam
Lifestreaming @ http://www.ExploitTheSystem.com | Blogging @ http://www.onefish2.com
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Dell programs - 11-23-2008, 11:44 PM

Thank you for the reply.
I guess you thought that I knew more about this computer stuff then I let on but you would be wrong. I'm a tech. newcommer. So maybe you could tell me what to use in it's stead. Or perhaps just lose a few of the Dell things .
Thanks again for the help.... Just learning :?
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Dell programs - 11-24-2008, 12:43 AM

I can see what Onefish2 is saying, but I think he is a bit OT.

My strategy has been to:

(1) Take a back-up of the system as delivered to me by Dell so that I can go back if I want to do so.

(2) Play with the system for a while without worrying too much and delete/replace stuff until I am happy with the apps.

(3) Do a full reinstall of the OS, stripped drivers and just the apps I like.

FWIW: I have removed Norton, MS Works and Adobe Reader. I am using Avast!, Open Office and Tracker's PDF-XChange Viewer respectively instead. You sadly need to leave IE installed in order to get updates from MS, but I am using Firefox as my main browser.

I don't like the Dell video cam app, but I don't know what to use instead. Anyone?

I do like the desktop search stuff from Google, but not the widgets.

« Running Ubuntu, want to double memory | how about debian linux on dell mini »