Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#21) Old
Administrator

Default 08-10-2009, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePA View Post
Never had a false positive and never had my system crippled.
You're lucky, then. Others have not been. Most recently, AVG marked critical Itunes files as viruses.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#22) Old

Default 08-10-2009, 02:35 PM

Never had any false positive with AVG, had been using it for a few years now.

But changed to Avast (Free too) reading a few posts here. Norton has lot of baggage in my book with being a hog. So I am staying away from it for now
  (#23) Old

Default 08-10-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k000 View Post
Never had any false positive with AVG, had been using it for a few years now.

But changed to Avast (Free too) reading a few posts here. Norton has lot of baggage in my book with being a hog. So I am staying away from it for now
Those were old Nortons. Norton 2009 was re-written from the ground up and now has one of the smallest footprints of any AV. Read the reviews in PC World, PC Mag, etc, and you'll see 2009 is viewed extremely well. I have it on my desktop, laptop and Mini 10v and it works fantastic on all three. You can buy licenses very cheaply on eBay. They're legal and work fine. Then download the trial and use the license you just bought. I paid $14 for licenses for 3 computers/2 years for Norton Internet Security 2009 (includes firewall and other features in addition to the AV). Search on eBay for "norton internet security 2009" and limit it to "buy it now". You should see several in the $14-$15 range for the 3 computers/2 years.
  (#24) Old

Default 08-11-2009, 01:13 AM

I've been using Avira since I got my Mini....works good for me...so far.....

On Line gaming addict....

Cherry Red Mini 9..64GB Runcore SSD...2GB Ram....16GB SDHC card, BT...Win XP Home, Logitech mouse
  (#25) Old

Default 08-11-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxner1 View Post
Those were old Nortons. Norton 2009 was re-written from the ground up and now has one of the smallest footprints of any AV. Read the reviews in PC World, PC Mag, etc, and you'll see 2009 is viewed extremely well. I have it on my desktop, laptop and Mini 10v and it works fantastic on all three. You can buy licenses very cheaply on eBay. They're legal and work fine. Then download the trial and use the license you just bought. I paid $14 for licenses for 3 computers/2 years for Norton Internet Security 2009 (includes firewall and other features in addition to the AV). Search on eBay for "norton internet security 2009" and limit it to "buy it now". You should see several in the $14-$15 range for the 3 computers/2 years.
yup - I did see a few at that price range. But with Comodo FW + Avast, I am not sure if I need a paid solution ?
  (#26) Old

Default 08-12-2009, 03:58 PM

I use OS X on my mini, but before that I used Avast with Spyware Terminator
Thwy ran great without any issues. Then I got tired of worring about it and install OS X. Couldn't be happier

Dell Mini 9: Alpine White, 16GB SSD, Webcam, Bluetooth, BIOS A05

Upgrades : 2GB RAM, OS X
  (#27) Old

Default 08-12-2009, 04:33 PM

PC Tools (a subsidiary of Symantec) has an antivirus/spyware specifically designed for netbooks.

Netbook Security

I was thinking about try it out once my mini9 arrives
  (#28) Old

Default 08-15-2009, 12:25 PM

i also vote for slapping OSX on that sucker. spend the $100 to get the retail version and forget about worrying about viruses.
you'll get the occasional scare about a "in the wild" trojan. but it happens to be wild in some other world, because very few have actually gotten one.
  (#29) Old

Default 08-15-2009, 01:12 PM

Since it's a thread about virus scanning, suggesting an OS other than windows is kinda off topic. That's like responding to every issue about finding drivers to install linux or about wanting to play games to install windows. It's obviously someone who is using windows for a reason, and the reason isn't what's in question.

I suggest not using a virus scanner at all. As long as you dont browse with IE, run no-script (until another browser gets a comparable plugin, that means use firefox) and only allow scripts from sites you recognize and trust and dont download files like a retard, you wont need a virus scanner.

Simply firewall yourself (since windows likes to run various remote services by default) and use firefox + no-script and common sense and a virus scanner is nothing but a bloat-happy cpu hungry redundancy.

If you can't trust the user and still have to use one, i suggest going here and reading the reviews on a number of them. Antivirus Software Reviews, Best Antivirus Software Program (read the full report). If money is an issue, avast is tied with AVG.

What nobody seems to do though is give concrete numbers on how much cpu usage each scanner requires along with memory and hdd footprint. There are online scanners as well but i take it the OP requires realtime protection.

mini 9 : Debian Unstable : 2GB ram : Atheros wifi

« Microsoft Office or OpenOffice ? | Most popular webcam sotware »