Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Lots of newbee questions... MS Office, Zune, Firewall/Antivirus, Clean re-install etc - 08-03-2009, 08:16 PM

I just got the Mini 10 with 32GB SSD.. have lots of questions, and would appreciate you help :

1. What is the best way of reinstalling bare-minimum OS (licensed version as I paid for it already) ?

2. Can I install MS Office + Powerpoint and expect decent usability every now and then... I don't foresee it using it more than twice a month to update some presentations / updatig slides etc ?

3. Has anyone tried installing Zune s/w on Mini 10 ? I would like to be able to autosync some podcast for morning consumption in train that I watch on Zune at the moment

4. What is the lightest and more efficient Firewall + Antivirus combo everyone is using ? (Currently I use Comodo and ANG on non-mini laptops and PCs)

And... anything else I can do to get more excited ? I absolutely love the mini-ness of mini10.. just want to downgrade the battery to 3-cell.. 6-cell is way too fat for my taste
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 08-03-2009, 08:59 PM

1. Reinstall from the provided restore CD. Or consider looking at the options in the "Programs and Features" control panel applet. Note that you are licensed for the specific edition preinstalled.

2. Yes.

4. Norton Internet Security 2009

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 08-03-2009, 11:47 PM

Thanks, but really ?

I thought there are a lot of bloatware on Dell's CD. Are you saying it's clean of unneeded stuff ?

And again I thought NAV is a bloatware in itself...

Sorry, don't want to go against a super mod... but are there other options ?
  (#4) Old

Default 08-04-2009, 12:17 AM

Following holmes4's suggestion, if you use the Windows XP SP3 disk that was shipped with the computer, you'll have nothing more than Windows XP; nothing added. The only difference between the CD shipped and if you bought XP in a store is the one shipped is pre-activated on your Dell computer.

Tom
XPS 420|XPS 420|M1330: Windows 7 x64, Windows 8-8102
M1330: Quad boot: Windows 7 x64, XP Pro x64, Ubuntu, Media Direct
Mini 9: Black, 2GB, 1.3MP Cam, BT, Runcore 32, Windows 7
Mini 10: Black, Z530, Intel 5100 WiFi, OCZ Vertex SSD, XP Pro & Windows 7 (sold)
Mini10v: 2GB, OCZ Vertex, Intel 5100, Windows 7
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 08-04-2009, 12:47 AM

Norton may have been bloated in the past, but not in recent years. It's lean and fast, and doesn't have as many "oops" false-positive moments as do some other products (cough, AVG, cough) What I really like about the current NIS is that it is almost invisible in operation - it doesn't bug you with "hey, I'm here!" popups and protects well. You can even get a "Netbook Edition" on a USB flash drive!

The Dell restore CD doesn't install any of the applications but does include the drivers you need. There is not a lot of extra stuff preinstalled anyway. Since you have the Mini 10, you have Vista, not XP. You may want to consider holding out for Windows 7.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old

Default 08-04-2009, 04:37 AM

Thanks holmes4 and zrtom. I will certainly look at NIS. And I am glad to hear that the reinstall CD is clean. In the past Dell used to install many a diagnostics/trail s/w with laptops and PCs, but I will try.

and I checked I have the Windows XP Home on my mini 10, will see if I go for reinstall.

Thanks for helping out.
  (#7) Old

Default 08-04-2009, 02:19 PM

If the disk says "Operating System", then it's Windows. They are slightly modified, a vanilla Windows XP will not detect all SATA drives, and in those cases, relevant SATA drivers are included on the CD. There's also some Dell branding and of course the automatic activation. Other drivers are not included, save the basic Windows drivers (e.g. VGA video, some older NICs, etc will be there, but your hardware probably will not have drivers).

If it says "Software Restoration CD", then it's basically a Norton Ghost image of your system as shipped. This will include trial software and such, but it also includes all the drivers, and is easier and faster to reinstall from for most people. (This is not sent by default, but if Dell support decides you need to reinstall, sometimes they will send you this. Usually I send the generic OS disk, as the SRCD is not useful for nondestructive repairs of things like filesystem corruption and boot misconfiguration.)

The disk that says "Drivers and Utilities" contains the drivers that are not necessary to boot the system.

Unix fanatic
Vostro A90, 16GB SSD, 2GB DDR2, US-INTL Keyboard, FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE
Latitude E6400N, 2.4GHz, 4GB, 320GB, Opensolaris 2009.06 updated to build 118
Dell Tech Support agent
  (#8) Old

Default 08-04-2009, 05:57 PM

Thanks - that was very helpful information

Can you also tell me which config looks better for that price please on my this thread --> http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...html#post89551?

« Mini 9: Which key is the "Suspend" key? | Long time lurker... »