Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Lightbulb New, need direction and advice.... - 08-02-2009, 07:35 AM

Hello everyone!
I just bought a mini 9 and I am super excited to get it however the reason I bought one in the first place is to pass the time at my police dept.

So I thought getting one and plugging the charger into the wall, then getting an external dvd player, sticking it all into a nice little bag and watching movies all night would be a good way. Maybe using it for my ipod nano stuff. Also, I wanted to have a little computer of my own since the one at the house is the gf's and I am tired of being told what to do with it.

That said. Now that I have already purchased it, of course I wanted to ask questions. Like.....where to get a cheap dvd external thingy, how to use it and was all this a good idea?

PLEASE RESPOND......I really would like to know if I am an idiot.

Help me learn as much about this little gadget as possible please ....
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 08-02-2009, 01:21 PM

What you propose will work. I would be wary of looking for a "cheap" external DVD drive, as some users report problems with certain brands (I/O Magic for one). Look for one that has the option of a separate power cable (usually in the form of a second USB cable with a power connector on the other end.) Some external drives need a bit more power than is available from the Mini 9's USB connector (and you should use the one closest to the power connector.)

I have an LG "Slim" drive I like, but there are other good brands. Expect to pay at least $70.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 08-03-2009, 01:05 AM

Ok, so LG slim....will work with the "ubuntu" system? I will get it cause I don't want to screw anything up. I am totaly new to this so should I be looking at getting XP or some other OS? Or the upgrade ummm.....maybe I think it's like 9.04 ubuntu ...something something?? I have read so much on here but I don't really understand anything they are saying.....

(#4) Old
Administrator

Default 08-03-2009, 05:29 PM

USB drives don't care about the OS, but the software bundled with them is usually for one particular OS (Windows, MacOS, etc.)

Pick whichever OS best meets your needs. Both XP and Linux will do what you described. If you're not already familiar with Linux and don't feel like experimenting, stick with what you know.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Default 08-06-2009, 12:26 AM

Okay, well I think because I bought this dell to do something it really isn't used for that I will just send it back. I will just have to get something that plays dvd's and has enough memory to do the things I would like to do. Thank you very much for your response though.

(#6) Old
Guru

Default 08-06-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmlreiner View Post
Okay, well I think because I bought this dell to do something it really isn't used for that I will just send it back.
I don't use a external DVD drive with my Mini 9, but it plays DVD-quality video files well (for a 2lb device with a 9" screen ). And it does a passable job of playing lowend HD video (720p).

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#7) Old

Default 08-06-2009, 05:59 PM

Obsidian Black Mini 9 | 2GB Kingston RAM | 32GB RunCore SSD | 1.3mp Webcam | Transcend 16GB SDHC | Kawau Micro SD Card Reader | Polaroid 16GB Micro SDHC | Windows XP | Ridic Graphics Skin | Logitech V450 Nano
  (#8) Old

Default 08-06-2009, 10:37 PM

The eBay model is a no-name brand, with sketchy warranty and return ability. You can get a new Lite-On at Newegg for the same price with free shipping. It gets very good user reviews there. I don't know if it's as slim as the eBay but it works for me. It also comes with a power brick, which I prefer to USB power - although that may be a deal killer for some. Newegg.com - LITE-ON 22X DVD+R USB External CD/DVD Writer Model eZAU422-08 LightScribe Support - External CD / DVD Drives
  (#9) Old

Default 08-07-2009, 01:14 AM

I already had an external one when I got my mini...so I just used it..it worked...so I use it for burning and used it for a clean install...It is also a Lite On.... so glad it worked ...

PS..use the powercord..... and usb to connect to mini...worked like a charm..

On Line gaming addict....

Cherry Red Mini 9..64GB Runcore SSD...2GB Ram....16GB SDHC card, BT...Win XP Home, Logitech mouse

« New 10v owner here | sad newbee with mini-9 »