Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Dell mini 10v vs 10? - 08-01-2009, 07:51 PM

I just want something that can play youtube and hulu, could either of the netbooks handle these sites? Could either play fullscreen?

If you have one please visit those sites and play a vid, then try it fullscreen (480p for hulu) (sd, hq for youtube) and tell me how it performs.

Also, what is the difference between the GMA 500 and 950, the 950 looks like it has more power, but the 500 looks like it has newer tech. I would rather get the mini 10 with the GMA 500 if it could do both of the above (i hate plastic computers, looks/feels cheap)

Also, I heard you could install max osx, how good is its performance?
  (#2) Old

Default 08-03-2009, 09:39 PM

Can someone please tell me?
  (#3) Old

Default 08-03-2009, 09:49 PM

I have a 10v, YouTube will work, but not the HD videos, those would be extremely choppy.

As for Hulu, no idea, as that's an American site that won't work for me.

Since it's so cool to have your system specs in your signature here...

Dell Mini 10v | 120 GB HDD | 2 GB RAM | Windows XP Home
  (#4) Old

Default 08-03-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
I have a 10v, YouTube will work, but not the HD videos, those would be extremely choppy.

As for Hulu, no idea, as that's an American site that won't work for me.
Would you please test fullscreen (somethings telling me that its a bit to small to see in the browser on a 10 inch screen)

Thanks btw
  (#5) Old
Guru

Default 08-03-2009, 09:59 PM

Flash's performance depends on CPU speed, not the graphics chip.

From personal experience, I can tell you that the Atom N270 (1.6GHz) in the Mini 9 and 10v has no problem decoding 480p video encoded with AVC/h.264 (the most demanding codec). But that's in a real video player. Flash isn't very well optimized, and it may have problems, even at low resolution.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#6) Old

Default 08-03-2009, 10:01 PM

get the 10v, only that can run OS X. I have a mini 9, running OS X, and hulu and youtube both work great. As for fullscreen, same thing. However depending on your set resolution, youtube videos would still show up the same size on that computer as on any other, full screen is nice because although it makes the video bigger, the quality is usually preserved since the screen isnt as big.

Black Dell Mini 9, 2gb Ram, 32gb SSD, Bluetooth, 1.3MP Webcam, Touchscreen, USB Hub.

Waiting upgrades: Dual band 802.11n Wifi, 64gb RunCore SSD, GPS Hack, Internal and External SD card, Fingerprint Scanner.
  (#7) Old

Default 08-03-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex View Post
Flash's performance depends on CPU speed, not the graphics chip.

From personal experience, I can tell you that the Atom N270 (1.6GHz) in the Mini 9 and 10v has no problem decoding 480p video encoded with AVC/h.264 (the most demanding codec). But that's in a real video player. Flash isn't very well optimized, and it may have problems, even at low resolution.
Thanks, you actually answered another question i was about to ask, lol

How would the GMA 950 compare to my "Nvidia Geforce4 MX 4000 128MB". Its a pretty old gpu but it does what i need.
  (#8) Old

Default 08-03-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMACdaddy View Post
get the 10v, only that can run OS X. I have a mini 9, running OS X, and hulu and youtube both work great. As for fullscreen, same thing. However depending on your set resolution, youtube videos would still show up the same size on that computer as on any other, full screen is nice because although it makes the video bigger, the quality is usually preserved since the screen isnt as big.
Thanks, im going to head over to dell [outlet] right now

Make that tomorrow or next week when they have more of the $250.00 ones, lol, ATM they just have ones with wireless n cards (useless to me, i have a wireless g router)
  (#9) Old

Default 08-03-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreonius View Post
Thanks, im going to head over to dell [outlet] right now

Make that tomorrow or next week when they have more of the $250.00 ones, lol, ATM they just have ones with wireless n cards (useless to me, i have a wireless g router)
Just bought one:

[certified refurb] Dell mini 10v with 160gb HDD, GMA 950, Bluetooth, 1.6GHZ intel atom, 10.1" screen, 3-cell battery (opted for 3-cell for looks/portability, 6 is to bulky), free 3-5 day shipping , for a grand total of $275

Dell outlet FTW
  (#10) Old

Default 08-03-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreonius View Post
Would you please test fullscreen (somethings telling me that its a bit to small to see in the browser on a 10 inch screen)

Thanks btw
It works fine in full screen, just as long as it isn't a HD video. Whether a 10" screen is enough, is your call.

Since it's so cool to have your system specs in your signature here...

Dell Mini 10v | 120 GB HDD | 2 GB RAM | Windows XP Home

« Dell Mini 1011 TrackPad / Mouse movements | First post - a a battery issue »